Cheesy puns aside, Ma'velous is truly that. Kudos to Phillip Ma and his new coffee and wine bar, which I'd be ecstatic to have in my own neighborhood. This coffee haven on Market Street (near Civic Center) is worth heading out of your way for. No, there is nothing else like it, even in a city of fabulous coffee.
The space is blessedly unique with graffiti artwork, pressed tin ceilings, retro-modern reclaimed furniture, textured floors, nooks with chairs, a couch, tables. The setting inspires but the coffee elevates.
The preparation options are where it gets truly exciting for any coffee geek or the curious. You might want a Kyoto iced coffee or to have it prepared via siphon, V60, Beehouse pour over, French press, or Chemex. Then there's their custom-made La Marzocco espresso machine. The staff is well-trained to create coffee in all forms.
A favorite already is an exquisite espresso made with Tim Wendelboe beans. I'm delighted by a "palette tasting bar" where you can sample coffees prepared three ways or three different brews. Their hot chocolate, made with local TCHO chocolate, is initially airily dark, becoming more rich and silky as you near the bottom of the cup.
Ma'velous is a shining new star in the coffee firmament, thankfully doing it differently than other greats in town. I love it so much I want to be a regular.
1408 Market, SF
--Subscribe to Virgina's twice monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot
Most Commented On
- Have you been to 6th Street? - March 8, 2014
- Greg is what I call a checklist liberal. - March 8, 2014
- Greg says he doesnt do - March 8, 2014
- Sounds like a racist viewpoint to me - March 8, 2014
- One more detail. I stayed - March 8, 2014
- marcos, you have responded to his every post - March 8, 2014
- But it was my original post - March 8, 2014
- Siemens is a German company - March 8, 2014
- You keep responding to him, marcos - March 8, 2014
- California is already - March 8, 2014