YEAR IN MUSIC: The dream of money amid exploding blondes and other bombshells in 2010
If M.I.A. felt needlessly crucified by Hirschberg, then she should sign up for the latest great idea coming from another original, Peaches. On the heels of her unjustifiably neglected I Feel Cream (XL, 2009) — and a super trooper performance at the Regency during a major power outage — she reprises her one-woman take on Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, Peaches Christ Superstar, in SF this week. Faith is blonde and semi-mohawked here, as Peaches performs the entire album — much as she did as a 15-year-old singing along with the record — with Chilly Gonzalez on piano. This after the production was first scuttled because it wasn't conventional — and a woman was playing all the roles.
Considering the steamy mess of projects in Peaches' recent past and future—a decade after her debut, The Teaches of Peaches, she's cowritten songs with Christina Aguilera for Bionic (RCA); appeared in the Flaming Lips' version of Dark Side of the Moon (Warner Bros., 2009); contributed to the upcoming R.E.M. album, Collapse Into Now (Warner Bros.); recently debuted a career-encompassing, mega-vagina-riddled opera, Peaches Does Herself ; and played laser harp with her band Sweet Machine — 2010's blondes can only hope to be as prolific as she is, 10 years along.
She's still dreaming, too. "I feel like quoting a Feist line," Peaches says by phone from New York City, referring to her ex-housemate's song, "Mushaboom." "Hopefully, 'my dreams will match up with my pay' so I can bring these productions to audiences. I get complaints from fans on Facebook and my blog, 'Why do you do everything in Berlin? Why don't you bring it to my town?' It's the dream of money."
PEACHES CHRIST SUPERSTAR
Sat/18, 8 p.m., $30
401 Van Ness, SF
Most Commented On
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - July 24, 2014
- 50 bucks says - July 24, 2014
- SFBG has always been a white newspaper. - July 24, 2014
- Homeless People Infesting the Main Library - July 24, 2014
- So what are "progressives" doing to fix public education? - July 24, 2014
- FBFoPYvvWKhBC - July 24, 2014
- aFygUdPcXhr - July 24, 2014
- More $ to Muni means more absenteeism. - July 24, 2014
- Um... Tenant's rights might - July 24, 2014
- FncnUMLWjS - July 24, 2014