YEAR IN MUSIC: The dream of money amid exploding blondes and other bombshells in 2010
If M.I.A. felt needlessly crucified by Hirschberg, then she should sign up for the latest great idea coming from another original, Peaches. On the heels of her unjustifiably neglected I Feel Cream (XL, 2009) — and a super trooper performance at the Regency during a major power outage — she reprises her one-woman take on Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, Peaches Christ Superstar, in SF this week. Faith is blonde and semi-mohawked here, as Peaches performs the entire album — much as she did as a 15-year-old singing along with the record — with Chilly Gonzalez on piano. This after the production was first scuttled because it wasn't conventional — and a woman was playing all the roles.
Considering the steamy mess of projects in Peaches' recent past and future—a decade after her debut, The Teaches of Peaches, she's cowritten songs with Christina Aguilera for Bionic (RCA); appeared in the Flaming Lips' version of Dark Side of the Moon (Warner Bros., 2009); contributed to the upcoming R.E.M. album, Collapse Into Now (Warner Bros.); recently debuted a career-encompassing, mega-vagina-riddled opera, Peaches Does Herself ; and played laser harp with her band Sweet Machine — 2010's blondes can only hope to be as prolific as she is, 10 years along.
She's still dreaming, too. "I feel like quoting a Feist line," Peaches says by phone from New York City, referring to her ex-housemate's song, "Mushaboom." "Hopefully, 'my dreams will match up with my pay' so I can bring these productions to audiences. I get complaints from fans on Facebook and my blog, 'Why do you do everything in Berlin? Why don't you bring it to my town?' It's the dream of money."
PEACHES CHRIST SUPERSTAR
Sat/18, 8 p.m., $30
401 Van Ness, SF
Most Commented On
- Student protesters file claim against City College and SF - July 31, 2014
- Yes, this does rather wreak of overly-precious race pandering. - July 31, 2014
- They are separate but not equal - July 31, 2014
- Extrication - July 31, 2014
- Rising tide of plutocracy - July 31, 2014
- Bill would tax companies with wide CEO-worker pay disparities - July 31, 2014
- uPnqTInXnBgRqbVF - July 31, 2014
- Secret: - July 31, 2014
- My experience - July 31, 2014
- Ammiano and Leno seek to reform the Ellis Act and slow SF - July 31, 2014