Buried in all the hoopla over mayoral succession is another key job — and more political intrigue
Fazio doesn't think Henderson's bid will be hampered by ongoing crime lab and prosecutorial scandals in the D.A.'s Office since he wasn't directly involved in the crime lab and police misconduct cases. "The biggest challenge for Paul will be turning all that around and running for office," Fazio said. Insiders agreed that unless something highly unusual happens, an incumbent Henderson would get widespread political support in November.
But Onek sounds like he's in the race for the duration, and he downplayed his lack of trial experience. "The bottom line is that I'm not going to be the chief trial attorney," Onek said. "The role of the D.A. is to set policy, have a vision for the office, manage the office, work collaboratively with the community and law enforcement agencies, and finally, bring resources in from outside."
"I'm spending my time building a criminal justice movement and not focusing on the politics of it all," he added. "It's speculation and the winds change every day."
Onek observed that his entire career has been about criminal justice reform. "Kamala Harris did a great job of starting on that reform, and we need someone who can step in and continue the reform."
Most Commented On
- No, Michael is also concerned about the location of those - March 11, 2014
- Is this really all you have to care about? - March 11, 2014
- OK, so Tiny is a card player. - March 11, 2014
- Yes, it's not fair, these buses are punctual! - March 11, 2014
- I blame the Google shuttles. - March 11, 2014
- "After a week of - March 11, 2014
- I guess that envy and hatred of success trumps caring for the - March 11, 2014
- Hmm, is that code for "looks like a guy"? - March 11, 2014
- What reporter? - March 11, 2014
- Wrong, the word "tranny" is used by transexuals themselves - March 11, 2014