In Guadalajara's Tonala district, Fortaleza's beautiful, hand-blown bottles with agave top are created. Hipolito Gutierrez, a third generation glass-blower, holds the Guinness World record for largest hand-blown bottle and runs this Tonala shop. Watching Fortaleza's bottles being made is a mesmerizing dance of deft and delicate maneuvers. One misstep would lead to a serious burn as artisans flit between fire and searing hot molds with ease. I attempted to blow a glass myself, finding the greatest amount of breath I could muster was far from sufficient to fill even half a bottle with space. The skill required to blow continuously and fully is akin to the control Satchmo himself needed to play his trumpet.
For those wanting to explore the riches of Tequila themselves, I met Clayton Szczech of Experience Tequila (www.experiencetequila.com) while in Mexico. Clayton regularly leads tours in the area, filling a rare niche for knowledgeable, passionate expertise on the region without rigid schedules and touristy stops one normally associates with a tour group. He purposely keeps it small, tailoring it towards the needs of each individual group. Clayton has good relationships with the distilleries (certainly with Fortaleza), maintaining a relaxed stance, as if traveling with friends, which, in fact, you just may become.
--Subscribe to Virgina's twice monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot.
Most Commented On
- Greg's hatred for cops blinds him to any facts that do not - March 14, 2014
- Just saying that the homeless cause less problems in some - March 14, 2014
- Did we elect Davis to solve social problems? - March 14, 2014
- The DA was Elected to Office After Appointment - March 14, 2014
- This has nothing to do with - March 14, 2014
- Suuuurree Davis Is Interested In Public Safety - March 14, 2014
- The problem, Greg, is that running a city is like running any - March 14, 2014
- This post - March 14, 2014
- The left is dominated by anger and hate - March 14, 2014
- That depends on what my job is. - March 14, 2014