Food and drink writer Virginia Miller picks her favorite new dining spots outside of San Francisco
Easily the best new opening in Oakland in 2010, Daniel Patterson’s long-anticipated Plum delivers his impeccable technique in heartwarming food. Despite communal seating on uncomfortable wood stools, one is warmed by skillfully prepared food under $20. Chef Charlie Parker recently took the reigns, serving impeccably nuanced soups like ham hock and brussels sprouts or turnip apple soup with miso. Deviled eggs benefit from caperberry tarragon relish, while a rich beef cheek and oxtail burger welcomes the contrast of accompanying Autumn pickles. Patterson’s power continues to be used for gourmet good, and this time Oakland is the recipient.
FARMSTEAD, St. Helena
Farmstead may not be the most exciting restaurant to open in Wine Country in 2010 but I find it among the most satisfying. Part of Long Meadow Ranch, a welcome package of winery, poultry farm, herb garden, grass-fed beef ranch, and olive press, it’s in a modern, converted barn with fireplace, tractors and chairs on the outdoor patio. Inside it’s funky light fixtures, cavernous ceilings and leather booths. Their grass-fed beef is, in a word, exemplary. It makes for a decent steak, but my money goes towards the meltingly-good cheeseburger. On a house potato bun, it’s lathered with addictive mustard (they don’t skimp on the horseradish), cheddar and arugula. Order “potted” pig: tender, shredded pig packed in a mason jar with a layer of lard on top, served with toasts and that fabulous mustard. Another humane, locally-sourced restaurant, Farmstead brings a casual playfulness I don’t see often enough in Wine Country.
--Subscribe to Virgina's twice monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot
Most Commented On
- A d we are all complicit - May 18, 2013
- Says the commenter who - May 18, 2013
- Illegals did come here illegally and are here illegally. - May 18, 2013
- Is that like "one of my friends is black and - May 18, 2013
- This debate isn't about healthcare but since you mentioned it, - May 18, 2013
- If Greg makes it up, it must be true. - May 18, 2013
- And just to clarify, when I write of my "bullshit detector," - May 18, 2013
- No more housing market - May 18, 2013
- I agree. He might also want - May 18, 2013
- Start addressing the fact - May 18, 2013