CAREERS AND ED ISSUE: From monkeyface eel fishing to wild mushroom forays -- classes to clue you in on your surroundings
Next foray: Sat/15 10 a.m.–3 p.m., $25. Register at www.mssf.org for start location
"SEASONAL EATING, HEALTHY LIVING, DIGESTIVE BLISS"
What is even more soothing than taking a class amid the community-building rows of plants at Hayes Valley Farm? Try taking a class on how to use those very fruits and veggies (or seasonal varietals like them) toward more robust bodily health. It's part of a four-class series, but you can attend individual sessions — this upcoming one focuses on lower intestinal health, where 70 percent of your immune system lives.
Sat/19 10–11:30 a.m., $25–$50. Hayes Valley Farm, 450 Laguna, SF. www.hayesvalleyfarm.com
INTRODUCTION TO BUDDHISM AND ZEN
Of course, all this seeking and searching — it's the new year and all, but don'tcha know that desire is the root of all ignorant, pig-headed maleficence? You'd know that if you were Zen, see. But grasp no further. The SF Zen Center has been in the practice of expanding minds — often for cheap or free — for years. Take one of their friendly entry-level courses in meditation and all that new ksanti (patience) is sure to lead to some prajna (wisdom). Guest student courses offer amazing rates for meditation, lodging, and meals.
Jan. 29– March 19, 9–10 a.m., $96-$120. San Francisco Zen Center, 300 Page, SF. (415) 863-3136, www.sfzc.org
SAN FRANCISCO INTERIORS
You gotta suppose that after drawing your city in intimate detail, you'd see a little more of it. A gable, a funky load-bearing pole. Maybe we just don't hang and stare at walls enough. Or maybe not, but anyway this no-credit City College class taught by artist Jacqueline Ruben explores some of SF's more artistically fertile nooks and crannies, teaching you drawing style to boot.
Feb. 26–March 19 9 a.m.–noon, $100–$110. Fort Mason, SF. (415) 561-1860.
Most Commented On
- That seriously angry troll - December 5, 2013
- Hot sexy events: transman awardwinners and vibrator art - December 5, 2013
- Time to enforce the law - December 5, 2013
- I've noticed that bike lanes are sometimes poorly-lit and - December 4, 2013
- In defense of being a d*ck - December 4, 2013
- Meth YES, Sewage disposal NO - December 4, 2013
- I see. Well, judging from the - December 4, 2013
- You can't eat art - December 4, 2013
- Because only tech workers - December 4, 2013
- You watch the 6 o'clock news? - December 4, 2013