Two stars of Tony hit Next to Normal sound off on musical theater's future
He's accrued his fair share of fanboys and girls for his theater work, as well as his appearance on Nickelodeon's Big Time Rush.
"It's so funny," Hunton continues. "[Curt's] applause at the end of the night is so well deserved because he's fantastic in the show. But you always hear two or three girls who are just screaming because he's so cute."
But it's not just the talent (and undeniable hotness) of the cast that makes Next to Normal must-see theater. This is a stunning, unique musical the kind of show that should be appreciated for its courage to tackle heavy themes, and the success with which it does so.
It's also a welcome departure from the revivals and film-to-theater adaptations that dominate the current Broadway scene.
"Ultimately because it is different, people are just excited that there's a piece of theater out there that's original," Hansen reflects. "Art in itself is something that you need to take a risk with. I know it's scary, but because they took such a risk with Next to Normal, and because it's such a great show, I think that people are kind of reinvigorated."
Hunton shares her cast mate's high hopes for the future of theater, even amid the cries of "Broadway is dying!" and the incessant gossip surrounding Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.
"I think you'll see a lot of strong young actors. We're already sort of going that way," Hunton says, name-checking the Green Day musical American Idiot and the increasingly popular Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.
"Just some things that I've been a part of," she continues, "if it's any indication of how the future of Broadway is going to be, it's going to be incredible."
NEXT TO NORMAL
Through Feb. 20, $30$99
445 Geary, SF
Most Commented On
- oEWlFRRxKQEBaX - March 11, 2014
- The GOP Rating is Almost Negative - March 10, 2014
- Charlotte Shultz's slush fund - March 10, 2014
- Good Reporting Guardian - March 10, 2014
- Did it ever occur to you that - March 10, 2014
- Did it occur to you that she - March 10, 2014
- Is there a more bourgeois cause than white people's - March 10, 2014
- Was this article written by a - March 10, 2014
- The British did not vote for - March 10, 2014
- Separation of non-orthogonal concerns in software architecture - March 10, 2014