Just in time for Valentine's Day (and the requisite romantic dinner), SFBG food writer Virginia Miller picks her favorite new restaurants of the past year.
FOR YOUR SWEETIE PIE: BAKER AND BANKER
With dark brown walls and booths, the space exudes a warm elegance. Husband and wife team Jeff Banker and Lori Baker get it right from start to finish with his dishes (vadouvan curry cauliflower soup, brioche-stuffed quail in a bourbon-maple glaze) and her memorable desserts (XXX triple dark chocolate layer cake, pumpkin cobbler with candied pumpkin seed ice cream). Extra points if you buy him a box of pastries to go for the next morning from Baker and Banker bakery next door.
1701 Octavia, SF. (415) 351-2500, www.bakerandbanker.com
Most Commented On
- He is also the vainest and - December 21, 2013
- So what, they own the - December 21, 2013
- What a callous piece of work you are - December 21, 2013
- But not public bus stops - December 21, 2013
- I was evicted by a tech - December 21, 2013
- Lee's approval is now down to 51% - December 21, 2013
- Protests come with living in San Francisco - December 21, 2013
- Hard to be sympathetic - December 21, 2013
- Nobody's asking for that - December 21, 2013
- I'd be worried if I were the tech bosses - December 21, 2013