Drinkers, get thee to the Boothby Center for the Beverage Arts
We San Franciscans are lucky to have a place like the Boothby Center for the Beverage Arts. Debuting last year at SF Cocktail Week as home base for the Barbary Coast Conservancy of the American Cocktail, this year sees the launch of Boothby classes, tastings and events on all things drink.
Naturally, there’s cocktails and spirits heavily represented. But there’s also going to be coffee classes from many of our local favorites on everything from brewing to roasting. There will also be tea and wine seminars, and founder H. Joseph Ehrmann’s Mixology 101 series (with three levels of advancement) for budding and experienced bartenders.
Price ranges will vary but at this week’s cognac class, a mere $20 provided over an hour and a half of cognac education from New York experts, a side-by-side sampling of four cognacs, and three well-made cocktails from classics to modern inventions. The room was a mix of bartending industry folk and curious tasters, all with a hunger to learn (and imbibe).
Watch for Boothby Center parties during big drink weeks like a whisky-themed event around Whiskies of the World next month. This week clear your calender on Saturday night for 1 Bourbon, 1 Scotch, 1 Beer, a special SF Beer Week tasting where you’ll sample 15 beers and 15 whiskies (from rye to white dog) for the mere sake of discovering their complimenting flavors. Oh, and because they taste good.
--Subscribe to Virgina's twice monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot: www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- Steven, why are you so focused on only San Francisco? - December 12, 2013
- Steven, I often hear that "cars are subsidized" line but can you - December 12, 2013
- Paying for impacts - December 12, 2013
- Ignoring the question - December 12, 2013
- Cars Are For Automobiles - December 12, 2013
- Comparing some tiny country like Luxemburg to a nation that - December 12, 2013
- A criminal record can be expunged via the SFSD's "Clean Slate" - December 12, 2013
- 20 percent - December 12, 2013
- I'd like to know at what goal - December 12, 2013
- Cycling is popular with tech workers as they are typically - December 12, 2013