Parkmerced redesign wins narrow Planning Commission approval
"The proposed Parkmerced development is the kind of development that I normally would support. It's the kind of thing I work on in my profession," noted Marshall, an attorney who has worked on redevelopment projects. "What's different about this project is that it involves an existing community. It requires devastation of that community. It reminds me of the old-style redevelopment projects that went on in the Fillmore that destroyed existing neighborhoods. Look around that area now ... there's high density housing there, but that's about all. The community — the networks of the people — was destroyed decades ago."
Marshall took it a step further, offering her analysis on why Parkmerced was targeted. "It's because it's a working-class neighborhood of renters," she said. "That's why we're going to destroy Parkmerced."
Most Commented On
- Money is the ultimate barbarian - March 9, 2014
- BURN VALENCIA - March 9, 2014
- They claimed to represent the 99% - March 9, 2014
- No matter who posts it, - March 9, 2014
- I agree that government is corrupt and a big part of the problem - March 9, 2014
- Marcos and his point. - March 9, 2014
- No one needs to try and make progressives look bad - March 9, 2014
- I don't think SFBG has ever claimed to represent the majority - March 9, 2014
- Yep, population is what counts if the question is about - March 9, 2014
- You should ask that question if the Bay Guardian - March 9, 2014