New GLBT History Museum brings "Our Vast Queer Past" to light.
That may be debatable. But I do know that "Our Vast Queer Past" and the GLBT History Museum are giving queers a sense that we live history in our daily lives, and presents us with a fascinating IRL Wikipedia of our once subversive activities.
"OUR VAST QUEER PAST" through December. Wed.–Sat., 11 a.m.–7 p.m., Sun, noon–5 p.m., $5. GLBT History Museum, 4127 18th St., SF. www.glbthistory.org
As the stars and St. Sylvester would have it, this is a perfect moment to open this museum — interest in the queer past, especially among smart nightlife denizens and young image makers, is still at a peak. In that spirit, and with the intention of creating a sense of living history beyond the museum's walls, local DJ collective Honey Soundsystem is hosting a fundraising party for the museum called "SPKR: Evolution of the Queer Dance Floor" at Pubic Works on Saturday, March 12. The event will weave together sounds and photographs of five quintessential venues from San Francisco's gay nightlife timeline: I Beam, End Up, Trocadero Transfer, Townsend, and The Box. Old school legends DJ Bobby Viteritti, DJ Steve Fabus, and lights and sound man Randall Schiller will make the past come alive and you all sleazy-sweaty.
SPKR: EVOLUTION OF THE QUEER DANCE FLOOR Sat/12, 10 p.m.–4 a.m., $20 advance. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF. www.publicsf.com, Facebook: SPKR
Most Commented On
- We will not rest until every - December 8, 2013
- I disagree. Noise issues between any pair of neighbors is - December 8, 2013
- Over-paying workers only happens where the government - December 8, 2013
- Is this the "war on phones"? Curious. - December 8, 2013
- "Troll" is a word used here to describe anyone who holds a - December 8, 2013
- Almost everyone here is male. - December 8, 2013
- San Franciscans evidently love self-righteous, santimonious - December 8, 2013
- Mmm, yummy, quinoa with tofu. - December 8, 2013
- Spanky new SUV - December 8, 2013
- She never had a spanky new - December 8, 2013