Vegetarian sandwiches take over the world
This unassuming Potrero Hill joint makes its own amazing falafel — crunchy and crisp on the outside with a soft herbaceous center. Folded into JB's warm pita wrap, the falafel balls are supported by the tang and crunch of tahini and lettuce. This Middle Eastern lunch is big enough to satisfy even the hungriest of veggie-sauri.
1435 17th St., SF. (415) 626-7973
You can find a lot of great food here. Eggs, hashes, and good old diner fare are among the specialties, but Bette's simple veggie sandwich hits the mark with its simplicity and freshness. With avocado, roasted red bell peppers, marinated cucumbers, baby greens, and vinaigrette on a baguette, you'll be enchanted by this no-frills knockout.
1807 Fourth St., Berk. (510) 644-3230
THE PLANT CAFÉ
There are times when even I, an ardent vegetarian, mourn the loss of ruebens. Chewy, hearty, a gut punch of protein and sauce — thank Gaia, then, for Plant Cafe's veggie rueben. Who cares what it's made of — the zinger is smothered in sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and that creamy cure-all: thousand island dressing.
Various locations, SF. www.theplantcafe.com
THE ATLAS CAFÉ
The super-healthy beet sandwich here will tolerate no beet phobia. Accented by kale and vinaigrette on chunky whole wheat bread, its heft and fuchsia weight promise health and happiness. But you have to go to great lengths to procure one: namely, braving the Atlas Cafe's roomful of smarmy hipster-people staring at laptops (maybe you — quit spilling beets on your shirt, dammit).
3049 20th St., SF. (415) 648-1047, www.atlascafe.net
Most Commented On
- He never said that "no Black - May 23, 2013
- Have to love a city where the - May 23, 2013
- All those that think that anon is an idiot, - May 23, 2013
- Answer the question - May 23, 2013
- Brick & Mortar, The New - May 23, 2013
- Sure. Because we know that the top echelon of Goldman Sachs - May 23, 2013
- Lindsay better than Koch?. I'd say yes, though I was just a - May 23, 2013
- We're going on Sat., you - May 23, 2013
- Oh Yes - May 23, 2013
- Welcome to the new mission - May 23, 2013