Vegetarian sandwiches take over the world
This unassuming Potrero Hill joint makes its own amazing falafel — crunchy and crisp on the outside with a soft herbaceous center. Folded into JB's warm pita wrap, the falafel balls are supported by the tang and crunch of tahini and lettuce. This Middle Eastern lunch is big enough to satisfy even the hungriest of veggie-sauri.
1435 17th St., SF. (415) 626-7973
You can find a lot of great food here. Eggs, hashes, and good old diner fare are among the specialties, but Bette's simple veggie sandwich hits the mark with its simplicity and freshness. With avocado, roasted red bell peppers, marinated cucumbers, baby greens, and vinaigrette on a baguette, you'll be enchanted by this no-frills knockout.
1807 Fourth St., Berk. (510) 644-3230
THE PLANT CAFÉ
There are times when even I, an ardent vegetarian, mourn the loss of ruebens. Chewy, hearty, a gut punch of protein and sauce — thank Gaia, then, for Plant Cafe's veggie rueben. Who cares what it's made of — the zinger is smothered in sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and that creamy cure-all: thousand island dressing.
Various locations, SF. www.theplantcafe.com
THE ATLAS CAFÉ
The super-healthy beet sandwich here will tolerate no beet phobia. Accented by kale and vinaigrette on chunky whole wheat bread, its heft and fuchsia weight promise health and happiness. But you have to go to great lengths to procure one: namely, braving the Atlas Cafe's roomful of smarmy hipster-people staring at laptops (maybe you — quit spilling beets on your shirt, dammit).
3049 20th St., SF. (415) 648-1047, www.atlascafe.net
Most Commented On
- Defending corrupt unions - July 23, 2014
- It's a myth that socially responsible investment - July 23, 2014
- I don't quite get the indie rock connection here either - July 23, 2014
- Blame the Rent Control - July 23, 2014
- It would appear that many, many people love the new condos - July 23, 2014
- So long as the Mayor's Office - July 23, 2014
- It's important to have a token girl actor in an action movie so - July 23, 2014
- Hey, Marke, you provided all the amusing material here - July 23, 2014
- Chick Flicks - July 23, 2014
- SF is hypocritical - July 23, 2014