Psychedelic Horseshit steps out of the shitstorm and laces things with bliss
FatCat has since signed them on and Laced — a hazy, hallucinatory miasma of beats and moods that evokes both the loudly buzzing atmospherics of Black Dice and the experimental art damage of a less poppy Ariel Pink — is set to come out May 10. Leading up to the blessed date: the "Shitty Sundays" series of larky yet intriguing free MP3s (some freshly recorded only a few days previous), which have been released weekly on the FatCat site. The MP3s hint at Laced's trippier, less aggro mood, clad in samples and sprinkled with sequencers and drum machines ("I started going to festivals and taking ecstasy and getting into blissed-out dance music," explains Horseshit), although the fuck-it feeling that anything can happen remains, the same freewheeling, horse-caca churn of the first Psychedelic Horseshit show I ever saw, back in 2007. "It's a stepping stone kind of record," Horseshit offers. "It has one foot in our path and goes in a lot of different places and frees us up from what a lot of people think we are."
A tempered, more mature Horseshit? Could be — he's even willing to bide his time while Jewell is away on a meditation retreat. "He wouldn't even tell me where it was!" he marvels, adding that keyboardist Nicole Bland is playing with the band in the U.K., "covering his ass when he's figured this shit out."
"I said, 'The record's coming out,' and he said, 'I can't be in the band right now. I just need to be away and find out what's going on.' It's bad timing, but I respect it. It's like, you know, 'Thanks.'"
Most Commented On
- Thanks for the post and great - March 9, 2014
- Money is the ultimate barbarian - March 9, 2014
- BURN VALENCIA - March 9, 2014
- They claimed to represent the 99% - March 9, 2014
- No matter who posts it, - March 9, 2014
- I agree that government is corrupt and a big part of the problem - March 9, 2014
- Marcos and his point. - March 9, 2014
- No one needs to try and make progressives look bad - March 9, 2014
- I don't think SFBG has ever claimed to represent the majority - March 9, 2014
- Yep, population is what counts if the question is about - March 9, 2014