Get ready for the solstice with our guide to summertime fun
SF Theater Festival Fort Mason Center. Buchanan and Marina, SF. www.sftheaterfestival.org. 11am-5pm, free. Think you can face about 100 live theater acts in one day? Set a personal record at this indoor and outdoor celebration of thespians.
San Rafael Food and Wine Festival Falkirk Cultural Center, 1408 Mission, San Rafael. 1-800-310-6563, www.sresproductions.com. Noon-6pm, $25 food and wine tasting, $15 food tasting only. A sampler's paradise, this festival features an array of tastes from the Bay's best wineries and restaurants.
* Nihonmachi Street Fair Post and Webster, SF. www.nihonmachistreetfair.org. 11am-6pm, free. Founded by Asian Pacific American youths, this Japantown tradition is a yearly tribute to the difficult history and prevailing spirit of Asian American culture in this SF neighborhood.
Oakland Art and Soul Festival Entrances at 14th St. and Broadway, 16th St. and San Pablo, Oakl. (510) 444-CITY, www.artandsouloakland.com. $15. A musical entertainment tribute to downtown Oakland's art and soul, this festival features nationally-known R&B, jazz, gospel, and rock artists.
* SF Street Food Festival Folsom St from Twenty Sixth to Twenty Second, SF. www.sfstreetfoodfest.com. 11am-7pm, free. All of the city's best food, available without having to go indoors — or sit down. 2011 brings a bigger and better Street Food Fest, perfect for SF's burgeoning addiction to pavement meals.
Aug 29-Sept 5
Burning Man Black Rock City, Nev. (415) TO-FLAME, www.burningman.com. $320. This year's theme, "Rites of Passage," is set to explore transitional spaces and feelings. Gather with the best of the burned-out at one of the world's weirdest, most renowned parties.
* Autumn Moon Festival Street Fair Grant between California and Broadway, SF. (415) 982-6306, www.moonfestival.org. 11am-6pm, free. A time to celebrate the summer harvest and the end of summer full-moon, rejoice in bounty with the moon goddess.
SF International Dragon Boat Festival California and Avenue D, Treasure Island. www.sfdragonboat.com. 10am-5pm, free. The country's largest dragon boat festival sees beautiful man-powered boats take to the water in 300 and 500 meter competitive races.
SF Greek Food Festival Annunciation Cathedral. 245 Valencia, SF. www.sfgreekfoodfestival.org. Fri.-Sat., 11am-10pm; Sun., noon-9pm, free with advance ticket. Get your baba ghanoush on during this late summer festival, complete with traditional Greek dancing, music, and wine.
Most Commented On
- '"It’s clear we don’t have - April 16, 2014
- Wait just a little - the - April 16, 2014
- WONDERFUL MAN THAT GIVE MY FAMILY JOY AND HAPPINESS AND MAY MY G - April 16, 2014
- My life is back!!! After - April 16, 2014
- MY HUSBAND DIVORCE ME BUT: firstname.lastname@example.org BROUGTH HIM BACK - April 16, 2014
- BEST SPELL CASTER - April 16, 2014
- So Google glasses are BAD and - April 16, 2014
- Exactly. It must have a - April 16, 2014
- The Best Spell caster... Thanks to Prophet Ibu - April 16, 2014
- EsqGxhaSFO - April 16, 2014