- This Week
Two very veggie Fourth of July get-togethers
07.01.11 - 12:38 pm | Caitlin Donohue |
Moo your feet!
Come our nation's day of independence, all non-meat eaters will eat one: a homogenized, unexciting tofu dog. Especially if they are shy and/or lazy – the dog package conveniently slips into one's red-white-and-blue woven straw tote, and they are easily sneakable onto BBQ grills without a huge amount of haranguing from friends pumped up on animal proteins.
But they suck (except for Field Roast sausages, whole food fist pump). And thankfully, this year all you little veggies have an option to the tube-shaped madness: the San Francisco Vegetarian Society's Healthy Holiday BBQ on Sun/3.
Belly up to the benefit for Go Vegan Radio (which airs Sundays at 3 p.m. on am channel GREEN 960) BBQ for treats from a tummy grumbling V-list: Souley Vegan, Rudi's Bakery, and Sunshine Burger among other moo-friendly vegan magic makers.
But what would a vegan gathering be without a little speechifying on topics that affect your belly and other things? Dr. Elliott Katz, the founder of In Defense of Animals will give a talk to reaffirm your anti-burger convictions, and at 2:30 p.m., animal rights crusaders Jake Conroy of the persecuted e-activists Shac Seven, Alfredo Kuba, and Pat Cuviello will flap jaw in a panel discussion entitled “Coffee, Cake, and Constitution.”
Oh, and vegan bodybuilder Kenneth G. Williams will be there. Stoked!
Meat-free muscles: Kenneth G. Williams
Should Sunday's festivities leave you unable to stomach the thought of being restricted to one kind of coleslaw and buns on the Fourth itself, you're in luck: bring your best cornmeal-crusted tempeh over to the Presidio for a conveniently-located potluck before the fireworks, also sponsored by the Veg Society (details below).
San Francisco Healthy Holiday BBQ
Sun/3 noon-3:30 p.m., $10 suggested donation
First Unitarian Universalist Center
1187 Franklin, SF
Fourth of July SF Vegetarian Society-Living Foods picnic potluck
Mon/4 1 p.m., free
O'Reilly Avenue between Lincoln and Eddy, SF
Most Commented On
- 360 apartments - March 11, 2014
- We all have to lay down - March 11, 2014
- Equal application of the law? - March 11, 2014
- No, Michael is also concerned about the location of those - March 11, 2014
- Is this really all you have to care about? - March 11, 2014
- OK, so Tiny is a card player. - March 11, 2014
- Yes, it's not fair, these buses are punctual! - March 11, 2014
- I blame the Google shuttles. - March 11, 2014
- "After a week of - March 11, 2014
- I guess that envy and hatred of success trumps caring for the - March 11, 2014