San Francisco Mime Troupe's new show lambastes apocalypse as capitalist distraction in 2012: The Musical!
But if the story complicates the usual agitprop scenario represented by the fictitious Theater BAM!, it can also be too pat to be wholly satisfying. The excuse offered business as usual by the distracting and enervating fear of the millennium has several sources after all, including the pernicious hard-on by religious demagogues for spiritual redemption in a fiery end (a crowd and pathology wonderfully exposed in SFMT's Godfellas). The solutions as presented here are also less than clear. Getting the airhead Senator Pheaus to save the day by reading a speech crafted by our heroes, instead of his Wall Street handlers, only underscores the idea that such "representatives" are ventriloquist dummies who lean left or right depending on whose forearm is up their ass. Those guys are Theater Bum, and they're overfunded.
2012: THE MUSICAL!
Through Sept. 25
Various Bay Area venues, free
Most Commented On
- As a minority female who - December 11, 2013
- Social Darwinism? Ha. These - December 11, 2013
- browse this site - December 11, 2013
- To: Alex Tom and Vincent - December 11, 2013
- Nobody should be fasting to - December 11, 2013
- priestandrew thank you sir. - December 11, 2013
- cops = pigs - December 11, 2013
- The think you don't have to - December 11, 2013
- Why? - December 11, 2013
- thank you - December 11, 2013