- This Week
As a mayoral candidate, Sup. John Avalos casts himself as a movement builder
09.06.11 - 5:56 pm | Rebecca Bowe |
John Avalos, mayoral candidate: "There's a Johnny Cash song I really like called 'I Won't Back Down.' "
Others echoed this characterization. "He doesn't need to be the great progressive hope," said Rafael Mandelman, an attorney who ran as a progressive in District 8 last year. "If people are looking for the next Matt Gonzalez, I'm not sure that's what John is about. He's about the communities he's representing."
As to whether or not he has a shot at victory, Mandelman said, "It's a very wide field, and I think John is going to have a very strong base. I think he will get enough first-choice votes to be one of the top contenders. And with ranked choice voting, anything can happen."
Most Commented On
- oEWlFRRxKQEBaX - March 11, 2014
- The GOP Rating is Almost Negative - March 10, 2014
- Charlotte Shultz's slush fund - March 10, 2014
- Good Reporting Guardian - March 10, 2014
- Did it ever occur to you that - March 10, 2014
- Did it occur to you that she - March 10, 2014
- Is there a more bourgeois cause than white people's - March 10, 2014
- Was this article written by a - March 10, 2014
- The British did not vote for - March 10, 2014
- Separation of non-orthogonal concerns in software architecture - March 10, 2014