- This Week
As a mayoral candidate, Sup. John Avalos casts himself as a movement builder
09.06.11 - 5:56 pm | Rebecca Bowe |
John Avalos, mayoral candidate: "There's a Johnny Cash song I really like called 'I Won't Back Down.' "
Others echoed this characterization. "He doesn't need to be the great progressive hope," said Rafael Mandelman, an attorney who ran as a progressive in District 8 last year. "If people are looking for the next Matt Gonzalez, I'm not sure that's what John is about. He's about the communities he's representing."
As to whether or not he has a shot at victory, Mandelman said, "It's a very wide field, and I think John is going to have a very strong base. I think he will get enough first-choice votes to be one of the top contenders. And with ranked choice voting, anything can happen."
Most Commented On
- oeByKKhoWTc - March 12, 2014
- Wait, I thought the fire was caused by a google shuttle bus? - March 12, 2014
- Inside insurance jobs happen durtng down RE markets. - March 12, 2014
- The progressive theory is that new homes increases rents and - March 12, 2014
- Intelligence vs. Cynicism - March 12, 2014
- Global Climate Warming - March 12, 2014
- Which of course is an art form. - March 12, 2014
- The nanny state never ceases in its mission to control every - March 12, 2014
- No flossing = expensive dental visit - March 12, 2014
- Different Strokes - March 12, 2014