Welcome back, emo kid
Heart it or hate it, in the past year second-wave emo bands seem to be making a comeback. So this begs the question: What is behind the resurgence of this style of music?
"Playing music is an awesome opportunity. Maybe all of these people that are coming back together kind of miss it. We were really lucky that we've been able to continually do it," Adkins says. "The more interesting question is why did they stop?"
"I really like to think that it wasn't about making money which, I'm sure, half of those bands are doing it just because there are ticket sales in it, you know?" Hannum says with a hint of disillusion in his voice. "[But] I like to think that they are in a position where they can still get back together and tour to give access to these kids that couldn't access it back then."
"It does come off sometimes like they're doing it for the paycheck. But, at the end of the day, who cares?" Simon replies, laughing. "I still love hearing Chris Conley (of Saves The Day) sing "Firefly" and I get a kick out of watching the Get Up Kids play "Don't Hate Me" because those were songs that meant something to me when I was younger. And I am 22 again. It is wonderful."
JIMMY EAT WORLD
Mon/26 and Tues/27, 8 p.m., $35
1805 Geary, SF
Most Commented On
- Relocation payments are taxed at lower capital gain rates - April 16, 2014
- "Maybe wait a couple of years - April 16, 2014
- VOTE NO on new Bonds for SFMTA in November - April 16, 2014
- The city won't be buying buildings but if you want to buy a - April 16, 2014
- Most likely, because it will make owners less likely to rent - April 16, 2014
- But wait, marcos hates the non-profits. - April 16, 2014
- That makes absolutely no sense, marcos. - April 16, 2014
- So if this money goes to the homeless then who no longer - April 16, 2014
- Disagree. The market rate - April 16, 2014
- DR OSUN CAN HELP YOU - April 16, 2014