Avalos for mayor. Mirkarimi for sheriff. Onek for district attorney. Yes on C, No on D, E, and F ... complete endorsements for the San Francisco election
But the bottom line is that years of deep cuts have taken a disastrous toll on the city budget — threatening core social services and, yes, even public safety programs — and the city needs the money. Besides, this simply keeps the city's 8.5 percent sales tax rate where it is, at a level we've already budgeted for. We'll endorse Prop. G — but we look forward to seeing some more progressive measures on the ballot next fall.
Prop. H is a policy statement that would have no immediate impact — but it's still dangerous. It's an attempt to undermine the School Board's assignment policy, a system worked out over more than two years after dozens of hearings and meetings. The current system isn't perfect — but there's no way to create a perfect way to assign kids to schools in a city where some neighborhoods are still segregated by race, the quality of local schools is unequal, the district offers special programs at school sites scattered across the city — and parents want the right to chose schools outside their neighborhoods.
So the assignment process allows parents to chose seven schools, weighs the demographics of the family and makes an effort to both ensure diversity and give as many families one of their choices as possible. It works more than 80 percent of the time. Prop. H would mandate that geography — proximity to a school — was given the highest priority in assignment. That means kids in rich neighborhoods would go to better schools — and some schools would be effectively re-segregated by race. It's a terrible idea, and needs to be defeated. Vote No.
The Guardian endorsements were prepared by our editorial board, Rebecca Bowe, Bruce B. Brugmann, Tim Redmond and Steven T. Jones.
Most Commented On
- Being played like fiddles - March 14, 2014
- The influx of better off residents would increase the pressure - March 14, 2014
- I don't get it - March 14, 2014
- Still looks like a non issue to me - March 14, 2014
- Do you mean the 8Wash that you needed a billionaire on your side - March 14, 2014
- Seems to me the cops were just doing their job - March 14, 2014
- Greg, not every official needs to be appointed. - March 14, 2014
- New England - March 14, 2014
- CCSF certainly isn't "highly rated" by the people whose job it - March 14, 2014
- If you illegally occupy a building then you can reasonably - March 14, 2014