Ventriloquism, alchemy: Ray Beldner at Catharine Clark and Leslie Shows at Haines
Shows has worked layers of Plexiglas, colored ink, Mylar, crushed glass, metal dust, and mirrored shards onto thin, reflective aluminum panels (which she also engraves) to create trompe l'oeil effects that give her compositions dimensional heft despite their bas relief-like surfaces. When viewed head-on, a silvery pyramid-shaped outcrop seems to emerge from the upper left section of Face K (2011), pulling away from its striated Plexiglas backing. Similarly, Face P (2011) seems to extend infinitely back into the upper right hand corner of its aluminum "canvas" even as bloodied streaks (ink stains, perhaps?) in the lower half foreground the entire composition's flatness.
However dazzling, the pyrite portraits are not merely the sum of such special effects. A deeper kind of alchemy is going on here beyond Shows' transformation of industrial materials into representations of a mineral which is, by and large, useless to industry. I'm still trying to put my finger on it. Robert Smithson's dictum "Nature is never finished" comes to mind as a signpost, although I'm guessing he would've had beef with the Faces series.
In Smithson's gallery installations, the mirrors placed to infinitely reflect piles of shells or dirt were reminders of these natural components' infinite variety and unknowable totality. Nature could be brought into the white cube but the white cube would never fully exhaust it. Show's pyrite faces — with their man-made materials and Cubist collapsing of multiple perspectives — arrive at a similar conclusion, but through overt representation rather than presentation. To attempt the latter would risk evoking a naive transcendentalism which in this day and age could amount to a fool's errand.
RAY BELDNER: PORTRAITS
Through Dec. 23
Catharine Clark Gallery
150 Minna, SF
LESLIE SHOWS: SPLIT ARRAY
Through Dec. 24
49 Geary, Fifth Flr., SF
Most Commented On
- ..."And so it goes"... - May 23, 2013
- Great stuff, Johnny. Keep up the good work. - May 23, 2013
- Car parts are very delegate - May 23, 2013
- "The people you describe" ... - May 23, 2013
- I already saw many blogs but - May 23, 2013
- "Manhattanization" is not what makes a town boring! - May 22, 2013
- SF Pride's board demonstrated - May 22, 2013
- Sad. You must be in a really - May 22, 2013
- Bridging the gap between homelessness and function-ability - May 22, 2013
- Means Testing would be fair, - May 22, 2013