Community day in the Yerba Buena Gardens, youth spoken word, civil rights movie screenings, and places to volunteer (it's called a service day for a reason, people)
Let the Parks Conservancy plug you into a wildlife restoration project – you're too late to sign up for restoring the gardens on Alcatraz, but there's still time to help out at Crissy Field, Fort Baker, Muir Woods, Ocean Beach, and the Presidio. Contact email@example.com to reserve your spot.
Mon/16 various times, free
Various locations, SF
MLK Jr. Day service fair
Spend your day off work (if you have it off work) with your family making a difference in the Bay Area. Organizers of this event have made it easy for you: choose from over 25 different projects from serving food at shelters, planting trees – even making toys and biscuits for homeless puppies and kitties. All ages welcome.
Mon/16 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m., free
Oshman Family Jewish Community Center
3921 Fabian Way, Palo Alto
Piedmont's annual MLK Jr. Day celebration
First: eating. All comers are invited to bring a dish that reflects their own cultural heritage to this lunchtime potluck at the Piedmont Community Center. Once those pressing matters have been tended: music. Oaktown Jazz will provide some lilting melodies, and Piedmont students will make presentations on the significance of the day. Capping off the festivities, the 1993 movie At the River I Stand, which revolves around the 1968 Memphis sanitation workers' strike and concurrent assasination of King.
Mon/16 noon-3 p.m.
Piedmont Community Center
777 Highland, Piedmont
“Bringing the Noise for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.”
If you haven't been to a Youth Speaks spoken word event, pack tissues and your future-seeing 3-D goggles – the young people that the organization gives an opportunity to perform are the truth. On no other day of the year should this be more evident, because these kids are all about having a dream. Today's event brings performers to the stage who have worked up pieces on what they'd like the future to bring, imbued as ever with the fire of Youth Speaks performances. Could there be a more relevant forum to attend on today's holiday?
Mon/16 7 p.m., $16
401 Van Ness, SF
Most Commented On
- Is Newsom on the wrong side of high-speed rail history? - July 11, 2014
- rent - July 11, 2014
- Everything, because many people have to drive there if there is - July 11, 2014
- Yes, good point, the real employer here is the non-profit - July 11, 2014
- No, the scarcity of housing is caused by government policy - July 11, 2014
- The difference is that only the owners pay taxes on the building - July 11, 2014
- Wrong, rent controlled rents are subsidized at all points - July 11, 2014
- Easy to answer, Steven. - July 11, 2014
- Nothing runs on a charity model except charities - July 11, 2014
- No, clearly Campos hasn't found enough money - July 11, 2014