As libraries close and tuition soars, a California university sets its sights on... China?
The screams of students belabored for asking where their university is going and for whom raises the question whether intelligence will be our last export, or whether it was among our first.
Gray Brechin is a three-time U.C. Berkeley alumnus and visiting scholar in the UBC Department of Geography. He is the author of Imperial San Francisco: Urban Power, Earthly Ruin. A version of this piece ran first in the Anderson Valley Advertiser.
Most Commented On
- "Manhattanization" is not what makes a town boring! - May 22, 2013
- SF Pride's board demonstrated - May 22, 2013
- Sad. You must be in a really - May 22, 2013
- Bridging the gap between homelessness and function-ability - May 22, 2013
- Means Testing would be fair, - May 22, 2013
- ahhh.., such a magical - May 22, 2013
- Pets are one of the most - May 22, 2013
- Yes, we know, - May 22, 2013
- My husband and i say this all the time. - May 22, 2013
- then move.. - May 22, 2013