As libraries close and tuition soars, a California university sets its sights on... China?
The screams of students belabored for asking where their university is going and for whom raises the question whether intelligence will be our last export, or whether it was among our first.
Gray Brechin is a three-time U.C. Berkeley alumnus and visiting scholar in the UBC Department of Geography. He is the author of Imperial San Francisco: Urban Power, Earthly Ruin. A version of this piece ran first in the Anderson Valley Advertiser.
Most Commented On
- Wait, I thought the fire was caused by a google shuttle bus? - March 12, 2014
- Inside insurance jobs happen durtng down RE markets. - March 12, 2014
- The progressive theory is that new homes increases rents and - March 12, 2014
- Intelligence vs. Cynicism - March 12, 2014
- Global Climate Warming - March 12, 2014
- Which of course is an art form. - March 12, 2014
- The nanny state never ceases in its mission to control every - March 12, 2014
- No flossing = expensive dental visit - March 12, 2014
- Different Strokes - March 12, 2014
- No, that would defeat the whole purpose of shuttles - March 12, 2014