3 fantastic new thrifty dining options: Chubby Noodle, Roostertail, Galette 88
Order Four Barrel coffee, Mighty Leaf tea, or hard cider and choose a crepe. Bruce's Choice ($10) is my first pick, layered with smoked salmon, caramelized onions, and capers, topped with avocado slices, greens, and a tart/sweet lemon chive creme fraiche. Light yet filling, the zesty lemon sauce makes it.
Bleu Velvet ($9) is a savory-sweet choice with blue cheese, browned apples, arugula, honey, and toasted almonds. Dessert crepes (lemon sugar, roasted apples with salted caramel, chocolate with candied orange peel, or Nutella), made with eggs, milk, wheat flour and sugar, lacked the subtle chewiness and flavor of Ti Couz's wheat dessert crepes. But in their absence, Galette 88's crepes contend for the best in town.
It's already one of the more pleasant FiDi lunch options (with just-added dinner, Wed.-Fri.): casual, order-at-the-counter ease, the owner flitting about, ensuring water cups are filled and everyone is content. The space is minimalist with live birch trees towering in one corner and a decidedly Mission air that's rare in FiDi.
88 Hardie Pl., (415) 989-2222, www.galettesf.com *
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- Your not giving anything to anyone. - May 18, 2013
- For your search engine: - May 18, 2013
- So as a public service, - May 18, 2013
- You still seem to believe that hiring someone is a bad thing. - May 18, 2013
- My impression of the Guardian - May 18, 2013
- Bullying proves nothing. - May 18, 2013
- No harassment and no extortion. - May 18, 2013
- So hiring someone is a bad thing? - May 18, 2013
- I didn't know I knew - May 18, 2013
- Harassment is a criminal matter. - May 18, 2013