3 fantastic new thrifty dining options: Chubby Noodle, Roostertail, Galette 88
Order Four Barrel coffee, Mighty Leaf tea, or hard cider and choose a crepe. Bruce's Choice ($10) is my first pick, layered with smoked salmon, caramelized onions, and capers, topped with avocado slices, greens, and a tart/sweet lemon chive creme fraiche. Light yet filling, the zesty lemon sauce makes it.
Bleu Velvet ($9) is a savory-sweet choice with blue cheese, browned apples, arugula, honey, and toasted almonds. Dessert crepes (lemon sugar, roasted apples with salted caramel, chocolate with candied orange peel, or Nutella), made with eggs, milk, wheat flour and sugar, lacked the subtle chewiness and flavor of Ti Couz's wheat dessert crepes. But in their absence, Galette 88's crepes contend for the best in town.
It's already one of the more pleasant FiDi lunch options (with just-added dinner, Wed.-Fri.): casual, order-at-the-counter ease, the owner flitting about, ensuring water cups are filled and everyone is content. The space is minimalist with live birch trees towering in one corner and a decidedly Mission air that's rare in FiDi.
88 Hardie Pl., (415) 989-2222, www.galettesf.com *
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- muAbZelRObmvZW - April 18, 2014
- hPGCEIvEJPfsaPpFotD - April 18, 2014
- One other thing. In the - April 18, 2014
- "People alone who want to - April 18, 2014
- qQnEclrwCks - April 18, 2014
- sLfqqWgljZlsxn - April 18, 2014
- Douchebags are haters who hate on a peaceful day. - April 18, 2014
- SMTlTsxVdWFkRaP - April 18, 2014
- TjmGrSyvfnSJxly - April 18, 2014
- vbHaeGBqUiCA - April 18, 2014