Weed on wheels - Page 3

Delivery services and new dispensaries roll onto our annual Cannabis Club Guide update

Visitors to the Apothecarium are warmly greeted and seated in front of an extensive (and well-designed) menu, which an knowledgeable staffer patiently and enticingly walks you through, focusing exclusively on you and your needs. Once you finally find what you want, a large jar of your chosen buds emerge, and the employee uses long silver tweezers to place the prettiest ones on a display tray in front of you to inspect while he weighs out your choice of small or large buds with an air of showmanship.

2095 Market, SF.

(415) 500-2620

www.apothecariumsf.com

Buds weighed on purchase

Opened in 2011

Price: High to low ("compassionately priced" strains available)

Selection: Large, extremely informative menu available

Ambiance: Looks like a fancy hair salon, hardwood floors and patterned wallpaper

Smoke on site: No

Sketch factor: Low

Access/security: Secure but easy access

1944 OCEAN COLLECTIVE

Despite a somewhat forbidding waiting room, this neighborhood dispensary on a mellow stretch of Ingleside's Ocean Avenue has a real family feel once you step onto the salesfloor.

I was in the market for edibles when I went to 1944, and chatted with the jocular sales staff about which available edible wouldn't give me couch lock or paranoia — a fully-functioning treat, as it were. My budtender pointed me towards a sativa-based peanut butter cookie with high potency, and then made me feel OK about our difficulty making a decision. "We're all stoners here," he laughed.

Once you make your selection among the edibles, flowers, and tinctures on offer, head to the back of the low-glitz, comfortably appointed room to give your money at the cash register. Head back to the bud counter to pick up your selection — if you're lucky you can grab a brownie bite, cup of tea, or apple from the buffet to assuage your munchies. There's even a sign that announces the dispensary's job counseling and resume writing classes. A somewhat cold exterior sure, but it belies a warm heart. (Reviewed by Caitlin Donohue)

1944 Ocean, SF.

(415) 239-4766

Buds weighed on purchase

Opened in 2004

Price: From cheap to high

Selection: Large

Ambiance: Comfortable seating, jovial staff, family feel

Smoke on site: No

Sketch factor: Forbidding waiting room, friendly inside

Access/security: Tight

Find our full Cannabis Club Guide at www.sfbg.com/cannabisguide

Comments

Note, in the above story, Steven Jones reviews a delivery service, Foggy Daze Delivery, a delivery service which does not have a permit to sell cannabis in San Francisco. I called the this delivery service and found out that they do not test their medicine, unlike many of the permitted SF MCDs do. I think it is unfortunate that the SF Bay Guardian would make a mockery of SF's Medical Cannabis Act, by reviewing medical cannabis delivery services which are not in compliance with the city's laws.

Posted by David Goldman on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Reviewing non-permitted delivery services, or reviewing restaurants affiliated with the anti-worker, anti-healthcare, anti-San Francisco Golden Gate Restaurant Association? I'd argue that the latter does more harm.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Yes, look at the horror show that is the restaurant industry in the 5 surrounding counties

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 4:47 am

If you have a problem- it shouldn't be with the journalist-Really it should be with Foggy Daze--I was curious how someone could sell so openly without being registered so I went and had a look myself....

This is on their website in the FAQ's section:

Q: Is Medical Marijuana Delivery Legal?

A: Yes, Foggy Daze Delivery Service is a CA registered non-profit company operating in strict compliance with Califonia Health and Safety Code: 11362.5(B)(I)(A) & 11632.7(H). We are also registered with the City of San Francisco. Foggy Daze Delivery pays all of its taxes and so should you.

Posted by Guest Zebra on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

All else being equal, I'd rather do business with a *non-permitted* business than one that jumped through a bunch of government hoops.

Not only do the costs of that hoop-jumping typically get passed along to the customer, but requiring businesspeople to bribe government with permit fees or risk getting shut down is wrong. This coercion kills jobs, hurts the economy, and limits customer choice.

So David Goldman's letter got me hopeful that there might be a solid, organized dispensary operating without permits. Unfortunately the statement from Foggy Daze's website is disappointing. Given the threat from tax collectors and other bullies, I can sort of understand them saying they pay all their taxes, but they add "and so should you". That crosses the line from simply trying to protect yourself against prosecution, to actively encouraging participation in a system based on aggression.

Posted by Starchild on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 1:47 am

wishful thinking? Maybe we need to stop taking taxes from the evil GGRA affiliated restaurants, lay off all their workers- who aren't slaves BTW- and turn to the pot barons for philanthropy?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:14 am

Hardcore Libertarians like Starchild believe that free markets take care of everything, like magic. It's a faith-based belief with no evidence to support it, sorta like Santa Claus or Christ our Savior. But every Christmas, those presents show up under the tree, right? Who can argue with that? My advice: don't even try, you won't shake his belief and you'll drive yourself crazy in the process.

Posted by steven on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 11:10 am

This article is a joke. All I can say is, I wonder how much money Kevin Reed payed to get this joke of an article written. The Green Cross is the WORST dispensary in the city. They specialize in low quality product at top quality prices. Unbelieveable. Seriously, I will meet up with anybody who disputes this and put medicine from any other dispensary up against ANY flowers from the Green Cross.

It is easy to get awarded when you finance and put on the competition.

Shame on you SFBG. I thought you were better than that.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 30, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Hmmmm... Sound suspiciously like a Green Cross competitor?!

Posted by Guest on Feb. 09, 2012 @ 3:52 pm