We'll probably never be able to afford to eat here again, so this review -- including Alba white truffles, suckling pig, and hints of Calvados -- will just have to do.
Fatty suckling pig in crispy skin is a winning main with braised endive and ginger foam. Apple plays prominently in both freeze-dried green apple slices and a sauce of balsamic Calvados (French apple brandy). A bright, acidic 1999 Heitz Cellars Trailside Vineyard Cabernet from Napa alternately displays a raisin richness reminiscent of port, making it an ideal apple-pork companion.
Dessert comes in four parts, but it's a liquid shot that leaves an impression: fizzy young coconut water soda with a creamy lychee float. After dessert, I was served house eggnog with nutmeg foam in an egg shell. Perfect for December, it was a playfully refined statement to end a nearly three-hour feast.
201 S. California Ave., Palo Alto
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- No one gives a shit what it is - December 21, 2013
- TIm Draper - who wants to split CA into 6 different states? - December 21, 2013
- It's no longer anywhere near 73% - December 21, 2013
- It's 51% now - December 21, 2013
- Where do you live and where - December 21, 2013
- I'm glad the BG (the - December 21, 2013
- That's an awful thing to say. - December 21, 2013
- You again with the Move to - December 21, 2013
- What part of "official poll" don't you understand? - December 21, 2013
- So you're fine to subsidize tech companies - December 21, 2013