We'll probably never be able to afford to eat here again, so this review -- including Alba white truffles, suckling pig, and hints of Calvados -- will just have to do.
Fatty suckling pig in crispy skin is a winning main with braised endive and ginger foam. Apple plays prominently in both freeze-dried green apple slices and a sauce of balsamic Calvados (French apple brandy). A bright, acidic 1999 Heitz Cellars Trailside Vineyard Cabernet from Napa alternately displays a raisin richness reminiscent of port, making it an ideal apple-pork companion.
Dessert comes in four parts, but it's a liquid shot that leaves an impression: fizzy young coconut water soda with a creamy lychee float. After dessert, I was served house eggnog with nutmeg foam in an egg shell. Perfect for December, it was a playfully refined statement to end a nearly three-hour feast.
201 S. California Ave., Palo Alto
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- Same old myth - July 11, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - July 11, 2014
- uber and lyft cars - July 11, 2014
- Would be happy to talk to you - July 11, 2014
- Yeah, that probably is Lilli - July 11, 2014
- LOL, so SFBG complains about soaring RE values and yet at the - July 11, 2014
- Probal, does your legal - July 11, 2014
- Hi, lilli! - July 11, 2014
- Blah lust - July 11, 2014
- No, Steven, and for two reasons - July 11, 2014