We'll probably never be able to afford to eat here again, so this review -- including Alba white truffles, suckling pig, and hints of Calvados -- will just have to do.
Fatty suckling pig in crispy skin is a winning main with braised endive and ginger foam. Apple plays prominently in both freeze-dried green apple slices and a sauce of balsamic Calvados (French apple brandy). A bright, acidic 1999 Heitz Cellars Trailside Vineyard Cabernet from Napa alternately displays a raisin richness reminiscent of port, making it an ideal apple-pork companion.
Dessert comes in four parts, but it's a liquid shot that leaves an impression: fizzy young coconut water soda with a creamy lychee float. After dessert, I was served house eggnog with nutmeg foam in an egg shell. Perfect for December, it was a playfully refined statement to end a nearly three-hour feast.
201 S. California Ave., Palo Alto
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- No, the Israelis were dancing in the streets of New York - July 25, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - July 25, 2014
- Tip some back at the Barworkers Ball - July 25, 2014
- Bravo, well said! Those who - July 25, 2014
- oLcjyiIggZWZe - July 25, 2014
- Pro-gopher - July 25, 2014
- Twitter tax break beneficiary Zendesk launches app to help the - July 25, 2014
- Emma Silvers - July 25, 2014
- Hot date - July 25, 2014
- The dish on knish - July 25, 2014