We'll probably never be able to afford to eat here again, so this review -- including Alba white truffles, suckling pig, and hints of Calvados -- will just have to do.
Fatty suckling pig in crispy skin is a winning main with braised endive and ginger foam. Apple plays prominently in both freeze-dried green apple slices and a sauce of balsamic Calvados (French apple brandy). A bright, acidic 1999 Heitz Cellars Trailside Vineyard Cabernet from Napa alternately displays a raisin richness reminiscent of port, making it an ideal apple-pork companion.
Dessert comes in four parts, but it's a liquid shot that leaves an impression: fizzy young coconut water soda with a creamy lychee float. After dessert, I was served house eggnog with nutmeg foam in an egg shell. Perfect for December, it was a playfully refined statement to end a nearly three-hour feast.
201 S. California Ave., Palo Alto
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- Vile slander. I said no such thing. - March 16, 2014
- That is such a biased assessment that it has no credibility - March 16, 2014
- And yet, the national police force - March 16, 2014
- If marcos is stupid enough to use his real name here then - March 16, 2014
- Greg, you claimed a "Chinest conspiracy" during the last - March 16, 2014
- Nobody can afford an accident, so buy insurance. - March 16, 2014
- marcos advocating that no new homes are built smacks of - March 16, 2014
- Greg, nobody is going to read past the point where you yet again - March 16, 2014
- Where do you live, Becky? - March 16, 2014
- The only examples of anti-Asian hatred I see - March 16, 2014