"3020 Laguna Street in Exitum" transforms a doomed Cow Hollow domicile into nine site-specific artworks
Christine M. Peterson's "Shift (Plane)," which transforms a large storage area off of the kitchen by detaching and radially shifting the facade of closet doors that covered one wall, and Yulia Pinkusevich's "Data Mass Projection," a basement installation created out of telephone and data wires found throughout the house that have been stripped and hung to resemble a light spectrometer, are formally pleasing yet don't quite reveal the space anew.
If this project can said to be haunted, it is by the ghost of Gordon Matta-Clark, the 1970s New York-based artist and architect best known for those works in which he dissected existing buildings, often slicing into and opening them up, or engaged with marginal and neglected urban spaces he termed "nonsites."
I'm not sure if 3020 Laguna, or if any piece of marketable property in our 7x7 real estate bubble, would qualify as the latter. Matta-Clark was working at a time when New York City developers were throwing money into large corporate construction projects that sought to bulldoze and build over much of the Big Apple's infrastructural rot and many Americans were fleeing to the suburbs. His pieces at both urban and suburban sites were informed by — and drew attention to — this shifting architectural landscape. Despite the elegiac overtures of some the pieces, the stakes at 3020 in Exitum feel smaller even if the project is engaging as a series of formal experiments in spatial perception.
3020 LAGUNA STREET IN EXITUM
3020 Laguna, SF
Sat/18 and Sat/25, 2 p.m.-7 p.m.
Most Commented On
- Agreed, and the same applies of course to - May 19, 2013
- Ah, so you admit that you have never given a penny to - May 19, 2013
- You know nothing about - May 19, 2013
- The term "illegal" is the most widely-used and accepted term - May 19, 2013
- UnAmerican - May 19, 2013
- Yet you don't even follow the laws that you - May 19, 2013
- Xorauguynaddeae - May 19, 2013
- Golden Gate Park magic mushroom finally classified, just in - May 19, 2013
- Says the commenter who - May 19, 2013
- Texas has an outstanding record of creating jobs. - May 19, 2013