Jafar Panahi tests the limits of his filmmaking ban with This Is Not a Film
There's a cliché in criticism that certain technically accomplished movies are "pure cinema," and in a sense, if this is not a film, it's pure filmmaking. It presents itself as a document, but its authenticity is questionable, and for a man who is banned from filmmaking, so is its legitimacy. But it is a process in action and in dialogue with itself. It is an act of defiance, and the product of an artist's self-effacing need to express himself. Whether or not this is a film, it is a profound artistic howl.
THIS IS NOT A FILM opens Fri/6 at SF Film Society Cinema.
Most Commented On
- are you agreeing with yourself? - July 31, 2014
- If the definition of - July 31, 2014
- The bond is unrestricted and - July 31, 2014
- Hey idiot (Joe) - July 31, 2014
- Refugee children crossing the border for a better life - July 31, 2014
- The city population stays about the same - July 31, 2014
- I went to college with some of them in the 80's - July 31, 2014
- We need to take action on - July 31, 2014
- Lilli, have you ever played any sports? - July 31, 2014
- Are you saying that we should expand our transit system? - July 31, 2014