With her great mane of hair looking magnificent one minute and Medusa-like the next, she's a glam gorgon, both utterly credible and nearly Joan Crawford-esque in determination to stare the medium down. Paprika Steen is the kind of actress who revels in making herself unattractive, though the ravaged result is less "plain" than its own kind of masochistic spectacle. (Thea is the very picture of a proud 25-year-old beauty two decades and umpteen cosmos later.) It's a flamboyant, arresting, faultless star turn — even if Applause itself is finally just a vehicle. To really gauge what she's capable of, we'd probably need to see that Virginia Woolf? in its entirety.
APPLAUSE opens Fri/13 in Bay Area theaters.
Most Commented On
- If you really want more diversity in SF then you would want - July 10, 2014
- What about David Chiu's failing CIVIL GIDEON ???? Deja Vu. - July 10, 2014
- ABC7's pedestrian safety coverage courts controversy - July 10, 2014
- I will be back in a day or - July 10, 2014
- Elderly assisted living facility residents face eviction - July 10, 2014
- You know exactly what you’re - July 10, 2014
- You are perfectly free to give some of your profit to a - July 10, 2014
- But wait, Steven, Muni only recovers 20% of its costs in fares - July 10, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 10, 2014
- LA siren BANKS enchants The Independent | SF Music - July 10, 2014