Corporate behemoths crowd city streets and block Muni stops
I also hopped a Genebus at Glen Park BART and rode to company headquarters in South San Francisco. Again, nobody asked for ID; in fact, Genentech spokesperson Nadine O'Campo said the company is happy to let others who work in the area hitch a ride on the cush coaches.
For information on the Genenbus routes and schedules for the Millbrae bus line, go to www.caltrain.com and look under "schedules." UCSF also provides shuttle schedules and route maps at www.campuslifeservices.ucsf.edu under transportation. For general information on shuttle providers that provide service from and to BART, visit www.transit.511.org and go to Transit Provider Info.
Riding on these shuttles is an entirely different experience than riding on the Muni. People are friendlier, the buses are clean, the seats were nicer, and the transportation is a lot faster.
A UCSF student on the shuttle, commutes using the BART from South San Francisco to 16th and Mission to take a shuttle to UCSF. She said it's far better (and cheaper) than driving — and while Muni costs $2, the shuttles are free.
The downside of that, of course, is that some of the shuttles are bleeding off Muni patrons, and riders of other public systems, in effect stealing customers, and thus robbing the transit system of fares. They're also another example of the privatization of what were once public services. Instead of working with the city and the region to improve transit for everyone, these tech firms have decided to create a private system of their own..
And that may be the most disturbing trend of all.
Most Commented On
- Sunday parking meters might - April 23, 2014
- HOW DR.OYALOSPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM HELP ME SOLVE MY PROBLEM. - April 23, 2014
- I NEED A RELL SPELL CASTER WHO WILL BRING MY EX BACK CONTACT - April 23, 2014
- AN URGENT CURE TO YOUR HIV/AIDS NOW - April 23, 2014
- i am filled with joy in my heart thank you doctor ogogodu for yo - April 23, 2014
- marriage - April 23, 2014
- thanks to dr Abuko - April 23, 2014
- San Francisco city management - April 23, 2014
- Another, “good look'n out” by - April 23, 2014
- Dead Weight Losses - April 23, 2014