Copperwire's Meklit Hadero waxes intergalactic about her new hip-hop space opera
MH: The idea for the star guitar came after we'd stopped recording and I'd been wanting to figure out how to do it live. Jon Jenkins from NASA's Keppler Mission made the star sounds based on their oscillations of light. You can say I want 50 percent star and 50 percent guitar, or you can say I want 30 percent star and 70 percent guitar. You can also hybridize just the highs or just the lows. I'm still experimenting. There are a bunch of different sounds, but I've chosen a few that I particularly like.
SFBG: How many different stars are you working with?
MH: Right now I'm working with two stars.
SFBG: Do you know their names?
MH: I don't and I don't know where they are, that's one thing I want to talk with Jon about. But he's also posting a whole host of new star sounds so I'll have a lot more to choose from pretty soon. *
Sat/5, 9pm, $12
155 Fell, SF
Most Commented On
- Oh? - May 18, 2013
- Share a cab - May 18, 2013
- Winograd went on to leave the Dem party - May 18, 2013
- Some more analysis of the SF recycling boondoggle - May 18, 2013
- How do we know what laws to obey? - May 18, 2013
- The law doesn't support that interpretation. - May 18, 2013
- "Death wish"? Crazy. I've been subjected to actual death wishes - May 18, 2013
- Wrong - May 18, 2013
- It's not a crime. It's a civil matter. - May 18, 2013
- Nope, that wasn't me. - May 18, 2013