As You Like It techno party crew takes over the world. Plus: Martinez Brothers, Sunshine Jones, The Gathering, Emissions Fest, more parties
Fri/11, 9pm, free with Facebook RSVP at www.tinyurl.com/pushthefeeling3. Underground SF, 424 Haight, SF.
SUREFIRE SOUND TOUR
Surefire is one of the Bay's secret dance music weapons, growing from a scrappy-yet-canny bass label to an international artist rep agency, whose eye-popping roster reads like a serious underground bass fanatic's who's who. But let's ditch the market-speak and go under, as Surefire's ace tour lands at SOM, with jooky UK headliner (and local fave) Addison Groove of "Footcrab" notoriety doing a live 808 show, and Doc Daneeka, who makes some unabashedly gorgeous house and dank-groove music.
Sat/12, 9:30-late, $10 advance. SOM, 2925 16th St., SF. www.som-bar.com
Last year, essential Bay Area rave the Gathering turned 20. (What other party can claim that its participants stomped out a potentially disastrous grass fire in the hills, while dancing?) That party was the kind of reunion blowout that not only took "rave to the grave" silly-seriously, but cuaght the ears of younger generations as well. Now it's tuning an extra-legal 21, and will still go hard, with beloved DJ Dan, Hipp-E, Dutch, Andy Caldwell, and the Sunset and Forward crews, and tons of visual artists, surprises, and bonkers fun.
Sat/12, all night baby. Hit up www.thegathering-sf.com for location and price.
As one half of Dubtribe Sound System, Sunshine Jones was responsible for a bonafide deep house masterpiece, "Do it Now" from 2001. His solo output has been pretty grand as well (2007's "If You Wouldn't Mind" leaps immediately to mind and stays there.) But he's always had an affinity for dub textures, as the "Sound System" moniker suggests. Catch him at rocksteady, long-runnning weekly Dub Mission, where he last played in 1999(!) for a good dose of the sublime.
Sun/13, 9pm, $7. Elbo Room, 647 Valencia, SF. www.dubmission.com
Most Commented On
- The United Kingdom was no - March 10, 2014
- ADA requires coverage for disabled people - March 10, 2014
- What was Sofia Liu's choice? - March 10, 2014
- As a consumer, I am comfortable with the idea that I can get a - March 10, 2014
- Sounds like another example of the government externalizing the - March 10, 2014
- Professional Drivers Require Insurance - March 10, 2014
- Anyone driving professionally should have insurance but that - March 10, 2014
- Uber is bad for San Francisco - March 10, 2014
- If crime moves away that is almost as good as crime going away. - March 10, 2014
- Streetsblog views holding - March 10, 2014