Leather love, Detroit techno, carnaval after party, DJ Assault, Radio Slave, more parties
SUPER EGO Well, I'm off to the huge Movement: Detroit Electronic Music Festival this week, but first a stop in Chicago for the opening ceremonies of the International Mr. Leather competition — I certainly hope I don't get them mixed up!
You know I'm lying about mixing them up, I'll just dress for a massive outdoor techno festival and a giant leather fetish convention to cover my bases. Rave chaps are totally back, as is twirling flaming leather flag dildos in a retro acid house smiley-face jockstrap. A joke about 12-inch Glo-Sticks. Another joke about polishing fun-fur boots with a raw tongue. Neither of them very funny, because it all just sounds like Burning Man. Oh well. Poppers!
Before hopping in the rainbow twin-prop and leaving you to rage at the following parties, however, I want to wish one of the true heartbeats of the San Francisco leather, nightlife, and charity scenes, Mama Sandy Reinhart (www.mamasfamily.org), a very happy, very whippy 70th birthday. Love you, Mama!
Chilean-via-Sweden, Alexi has been amping house signifiers into deep techno streams for a couple decades now and dropping into SF on highly anticipated occasion. (Notably, he appeared a dozen years ago at the storied Staple parties). He'll be revving up the bangin' Housepitality weekly party.
Wed/23, 9pm, $5 before 11pm, $10 after. Icon, 1192 Folsom, SF. www.housepitalitysf.com
"Party like it's 1906" — and if this wasn't another wonderfully brainy banger from the Cal Academy of Sciences, I'd be a-scared. But in this case it's all pre-quake, a dancing, drinking (and some learning) salute to the glorious, gold-fueled, saloon-heaving Barbary Coast days of my favorite time period: yore. This fundraising soiree stylishly launches the Academy's neat new "Earthquake" exhibit. No crack allowed!
Fri/25, 7pm-midnight, $49–$69. California Academy of Sciences, 55 Music Concourse Dr., SF. www.calacademy.org
Feel like some amazingly atmospheric, floor-churning future bass from mysterious knob-twiddlers with names like Opiuo, Eligh, and Onra? I kind of always do, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
Fri/25, 10pm-4am, $15–$20. 1015 Folsom, SF. www.1015.com
The undisputed King of Booty is coming to town form Detroit to show us all how to dirty drop. Joining him to filth up the floor is New Jersey's DJ Sliink and SF's own invaluable Footwerks crew.
Sat/26, 10pm, $8 advance. Icon, 1192 Folsom, SF. www.facebook.com/FootwerksSF
DJs Derek B, Vivian, and Chris Orr band together for a night of fun pan-generational house and garage music in a basement. I like that.
Sat/26, 10pm, $5. 222 Hyde, SF. www.222hyde.com
Most Commented On
- This confirms my feeling about those D5 endorsements - June 19, 2013
- you understand that your awful misuse of apostrophes - June 19, 2013
- But home prices should be based on rents because - June 19, 2013
- Yes, Tim, there are very few hooker ad's on SFBG now. - June 19, 2013
- You cannot know how many "progressive voters" are not reached - June 19, 2013
- Yes, Tim was a gentleman and others on the left wanted him to be - June 19, 2013
- The left is renowned for hating each other more than their - June 19, 2013
- That depends how you define" nightlife". - June 19, 2013
- David Faulk, maybe the real lesson here is that discounting - June 19, 2013
- Candy, you need to understand the golden rule. - June 19, 2013