With two new movies (and more on the horizon), Mark Duplass is on the cusp of household-name status
But never mind. Inserting herself "undercover" when a direct approach fails, Plaza's slightly goth college grad finds she actually likes obsessive, paranoid weirdo Kenneth, and is intrigued by his seemingly insane but dead serious mission. For most of its length Safety falls safely into the category of off-center indie comedics, delivering various loopy and crass behavior with a practiced deadpan, providing just enough character depth to achieve eventual poignancy. Then it takes a major leap — one it would be criminal to spoil, but which turns an admirable little movie into something conceptually surprising, reckless, and rather exhilarating.
YOUR SISTER'S SISTER and SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED open Fri/15 in Bay Area theaters.
Most Commented On
- Thanks for the Zionist apologism. - May 23, 2013
- Right-on, Rocky! I'm looking - May 23, 2013
- That's anon's modus operandi - May 23, 2013
- Israel kills more - May 23, 2013
- Considering the past and present treatment of - May 23, 2013
- Street music - May 23, 2013
- I wish I could react with excitement - May 23, 2013
- Let me get this straight: - May 23, 2013
- that location has been a club - May 23, 2013
- Don Corleone would be proud. - May 23, 2013