Stop picking on our DJs! Plus: The magician, Dimitri from Paris, Deepblak, and more fabulous low-falutin' nightlife.
Don't call him a "throwback" the young soul-funk revivalist prefers to count J. Dilla among his influences, even while he's nicking inspiration from Holland-Dozier-Holland. The Stones Throw label favorite's DJ set should span a spectrum of mood-bending, rootsy sounds.
Sat/16, 9pm-late, $10$15. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF. www.publicsf.com
Kind of freaking out about this one. Some of the deepest, most intellectually soulful -- and danceable! -- tech-house future beats are being made in Oakland right now (and for the past few years) by the Deepblak crew. This showcase will bring together most of the major players at SF's SOM: Diaba$e and Nasrockswell, Blaktroniks, Aybee and Afrikan Sciences, and Damon Bell. Do not miss this night of exquisite hometown, hand-crafted live machine vibes.
Sat/16, 10pm, $10. SOM, 2925 16th St., SF. www.som-bar.com
Most Commented On
- No. Expedia and the others don't pay TOT taxes. Here's proof. - March 6, 2014
- All I'm saying is - March 6, 2014
- Expedia etc. collect and pay TOT tax. - March 6, 2014
- Never Used Internet - March 6, 2014
- you're making less and less sense - March 6, 2014
- Ridiculous Discussion- Great Premise - March 6, 2014
- "either short-term lets or Ellis" - March 6, 2014
- More victim mentality from the left - March 6, 2014
- Potential trouble for hosts - March 6, 2014
- EVERYONE has to pay attention. - March 6, 2014