Stop picking on our DJs! Plus: The magician, Dimitri from Paris, Deepblak, and more fabulous low-falutin' nightlife.
Don't call him a "throwback" the young soul-funk revivalist prefers to count J. Dilla among his influences, even while he's nicking inspiration from Holland-Dozier-Holland. The Stones Throw label favorite's DJ set should span a spectrum of mood-bending, rootsy sounds.
Sat/16, 9pm-late, $10$15. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF. www.publicsf.com
Kind of freaking out about this one. Some of the deepest, most intellectually soulful -- and danceable! -- tech-house future beats are being made in Oakland right now (and for the past few years) by the Deepblak crew. This showcase will bring together most of the major players at SF's SOM: Diaba$e and Nasrockswell, Blaktroniks, Aybee and Afrikan Sciences, and Damon Bell. Do not miss this night of exquisite hometown, hand-crafted live machine vibes.
Sat/16, 10pm, $10. SOM, 2925 16th St., SF. www.som-bar.com
Most Commented On
- Take away SF's alleged "world class" status and we are just - August 1, 2014
- People who live in SF and commute elswhere are bad - August 1, 2014
- So good Greg - August 1, 2014
- Please list these latin American countries. - August 1, 2014
- good point - August 1, 2014
- Latin American countrys put Israel on list of "Terrorist States" - August 1, 2014
- We don't have to do things in - August 1, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - August 1, 2014
- Remember, I'm agreeing with you - August 1, 2014
- SF progressives labor under paradoxes - August 1, 2014