QUEER ISSUE: Our annual guide to the (actually!) coolest Pride events
Juanita More's Pride Party Chambers, 601 Eddy, SF. 12:30-6pm; Jones, 620 Jones, SF. 3pm-midnight. www.juanitamore.com. $25 advance tickets. After eight years in the game, Juanita's bash, the place to be for discerning queers, has outgrown the patio of the Phoenix Hotel — the action's spread to encompass two venues, with shuttle buses ferrying drag groupies in between the two. Benefiting the LGBT Community Center, which turned 10 this year, the party will feature one of Pride's annual highlights, a performance by the young Cougar Cadets drumline.
Pride Parade Begins at Market and Beale, ends at Market and 8th St., SF. www.sfpride.org. 10:30am, free. This is where you will try to catch Sarah Silverman (and try not to weep when the PFLAG contingent passes) before the hangover/desire for more alcohol overwhelms. Stay strong, soldier!
Queerly Beloved El Rio, 3158 Mission, SF. www.elriosf.com. 3-8pm, $7–$10. Glittorises will tremble for local alt-queer pornographer Courtney Trouble in a rare live burlesque performance — and she's bringing a queer smut cavalcade with her to move the earth. FTM dreamboat James Darling burlesque babe Dorian Faust, and the crew from live sex sensation Cum & Glitter will perform sensual wonders; DJs and Lady Tragik provide dance party, and a kinky kissing booth will welcome those whose lips aren't otherwise entertained.
This is What I Want Various times and venues. www.whatiwantfestival.com. Through June 30. How does our desire shift with the economy? Links between the heart, loins, and stock market are explored at this performance art festival, which has an important symposium component in which attendees will lend their voice to to those on stage.
Most Commented On
- All daft and no punk - June 17, 2013
- I knew there was something I liked better about Garcetti - June 17, 2013
- funny - questionable. - June 17, 2013
- Newsflash - June 17, 2013
- Worrying about Tim R's future - June 17, 2013
- As It Is For The City, So It Is For Most Who Comment Here - June 17, 2013
- SCOTUS - June 17, 2013
- You lost me at "always warm". - June 17, 2013
- This Plays Right Into The End Time Crap The Fundies Spout - June 17, 2013
- Uh, a "Non-white" Begs To Differ - June 17, 2013