Original Joe's old school Italian conjures New Jersey nostalgia
Joe's isn't revolutionary gourmet or cutting edge cuisine, but what it does, it does well. Its clientele reminds me of the history and sense of place San Francisco possesses that makes it one of the truly great cities in the world, now ideally situated in a neighborhood that fiercely maintains reverence for and ties to that history. Amid SF's influx of tech-attracted newbies, Joe's attracts that breed we often forget is here: the San Francisco native. Feeling like a family/group restaurant first and foremost, it's a place I'd bring visiting family and Sicilian relatives with hefty portions and friendly service. But I've also had a cozy date night with my husband here, transported to decades past... but with fresher ingredients.
601 Union, SF.
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- So what are "progressives" doing to fix public education? - July 24, 2014
- FBFoPYvvWKhBC - July 24, 2014
- aFygUdPcXhr - July 24, 2014
- More $ to Muni means more absenteeism. - July 24, 2014
- Um... Tenant's rights might - July 24, 2014
- FncnUMLWjS - July 24, 2014
- hope you will share so much - July 24, 2014
- Re; - July 24, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - July 24, 2014
- jMYvwYeYbjltKJ - July 24, 2014