Original Joe's old school Italian conjures New Jersey nostalgia
Joe's isn't revolutionary gourmet or cutting edge cuisine, but what it does, it does well. Its clientele reminds me of the history and sense of place San Francisco possesses that makes it one of the truly great cities in the world, now ideally situated in a neighborhood that fiercely maintains reverence for and ties to that history. Amid SF's influx of tech-attracted newbies, Joe's attracts that breed we often forget is here: the San Francisco native. Feeling like a family/group restaurant first and foremost, it's a place I'd bring visiting family and Sicilian relatives with hefty portions and friendly service. But I've also had a cozy date night with my husband here, transported to decades past... but with fresher ingredients.
601 Union, SF.
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- Cycling is popular with tech workers as they are typically - December 12, 2013
- FOLLOW-UP - December 12, 2013
- Tech businesses probably have a higher proportion of - December 12, 2013
- You pay now! - December 12, 2013
- homeless scum - December 12, 2013
- Wrong, Marcos, when white male tech workers like you buy up - December 12, 2013
- You speak of gay men like you - December 12, 2013
- Since when are CEOs and - December 12, 2013
- As they see fit - December 12, 2013
- what exactly do you mean by - December 12, 2013