Summer heat, tropical-style, with Surya Dub at Non Stop Bhangra. Plus: Cubcake, Cosmetics, more
"It's all about bringing communities together on the dance floor. And then heating everything up."
Soigné dark synthpop Canadian duo Cosmetics travel musically from Moroder to Siouxsie, charmingly, icily, and will be joined by Portland's Soft Metals and our own Breakdown Valentine — two more chamber synth duos whose tunes seem intimately crafted just for you — for a catchy Friday the 13th affair. Justin of the Soft Moon, Rachel of the Conversion, and Omar DJ.
Fri/13, 9pm, $11–$15. Monarch, 101 Sixth St., SF. www.monarchsf.com
The whole gay bear thing kinda lost my interest once many of the hot fat country lumberjacks got replaced by entitled circuity gymrats constantly checking their Scruff apps on the dance floor. YOU'RE NOT A BEAR — YOU'RE JUST MIDDLE-AGED, I cried. (Middle age is a new thing for us post-AIDS era gay men; we're working it out.) But that was, what, 2010? Time to reappraise. I've been hitting up this too-cute pan-musical dance party at Lonestar the past two months, brimming with sexy-goofy young hairies on the hoof and a few zesty chubs, too. Bear Trek: the Next Generation looks pretty damn good.
Fri/13, 9pm, free. Lone Star, 1354 Harrison, SF. www.lonestarsf.com
The once-local (now Brooklynite) trio sanded off some of its esoteric angles in favor of wistful, Fairlight synth era-referencing pop on new album Diver, but it still retains those breezy percussive touches that made it one of the leaders of the nu-tropicalism underground dance movement a few years ago. With killer DJ and DMC champion Kid Fresh from Hong Kong at the always balmy nu-cumbia Tormenta Tropical monthly.
Sat/14, 10pm, $10. Elbo Room, 647 Valencia, SF. www.elbo.com
Most Commented On
- Nice job of not answering my question. - December 8, 2013
- Conditions of Approval are Routine - December 8, 2013
- So true, about 80% of posts here are pure envy. - December 8, 2013
- I'm a little surprised to see - December 8, 2013
- We will not rest until every - December 8, 2013
- I disagree. Noise issues between any pair of neighbors is - December 8, 2013
- Over-paying workers only happens where the government - December 8, 2013
- Is this the "war on phones"? Curious. - December 8, 2013
- "Troll" is a word used here to describe anyone who holds a - December 8, 2013
- Almost everyone here is male. - December 8, 2013