Trust the police? - Page 4

Relations between the cops and certain communities have been strained over the last year

Protestors blocked Muni on the anniversary of Kenneth Harding Jr.'s death.
GUARDIAN PHOTO BY YAEL CHANOFF

Hewitt also has ideas for how to increase trust in police. "They need to understand the nuances, so they see Johnny with the hoodie on and know, he's a star quarterback. I'd like to see my cops, paid by my tax dollars, not going to Sonoma County to spend them. One day the officer might be out running and he'll have a hood on, and he'll understand the nuances of what people are going through," Hewitt said. She also advocates for housing set-aside for police in every neighborhood, insuring that officers live in neighborhoods they patrol.

We asked Manfredi about this idea. "I'm a big proponent of having officers live in the community where they work, because then they can engage with the community," he agreed. But, he said, "one of the major issues about San Francisco, the cost of living is extremely high. To buy a home out here, we're talking in the millions of dollars. That's just too expensive."

He said that to make the idea work, the city would need to "implement some type of program or plan where they offer discounts for public officials so they can afford to live in the city." He explained that even in less expensive areas like Bayview and Sunnydale, the cost of housing would be too high for police officers to raise a family.

The current entry-level salary for SFPD officers is $88,842 to $112,164. By comparison, the median household income in San Francisco is about $71,000. According to city-data.com, the median household income in Bayview is $47,147. In Sunnydale, Hewitt's neighborhood, that figure is $33,641. "I would say, the police are part of the community," Hewitt said. "And they must be held to community standards. What I'd like to do is make it part of common thought that they are perceived as community members." She said the African American community has differing ideas on how to address police-related problem, but the tension is widely felt. "It's not like the black community is monolithic," she said, "although we are bearing the collective brunt."

Comments

"Chatman and other family members and friends maintain that when Harding was stopped while off-boarding the T train by SFPD officers and asked for proof of paying the $2 fair, he was unarmed. Harding ran, and those officers drew guns and shot him."

According to data from ShotSpotter — which was deployed in the Bayview in 2008 — three separate firearms unloaded 10 shots over six seconds. The first shot was one of two fired from where Harding was located, police said. Two to six seconds later, eight more shots were fired from where the officers were located.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/crime/2011/07/san-francisco-police-data-...

Today is the first day of progressive history.

Posted by matlock on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet users, its really nice.
Gracias

Posted by Tampa child support lawyer on Jul. 25, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

-to-corporate-entity program, I take any "information" provided by them through the police with a half-pound of salt.

Posted by lillipublicans on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 9:34 pm

I've also come to realize that radiocarbon dating is a plot by a Jewish elite to subvert God's truth that the earth was created 5000 years. So I take all that dinosaur, caveman shit with a FULL-pound of salt.

Posted by Troll II on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

ShitSpitter isn't propaganda. No sirree. It's hard science, exactly like radiocarbon dating. 'Coz the cops who put up the data on ShitSpitter would ALWAYS put up stuff that makes them look bad! If there's evidence that doesn't corroborate the official police line, you can trust the police who put up the data on ShitSpitter to put up the truth. Why? Because authorities never lie. Duh.

Posted by Greg on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 10:17 pm

A cavalcade of evidence which requires dozens if not hundreds of people needing to remain silent or complicit is self evident.

Shot splitter shots are recorded digitally. Time is a construct made up by the establishment.

Posted by matlock on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."
Benjamin Franklin

The speed of light is just another way of knowing.

It is so amazing that the progressives who claim intellectual greatness are those who loath science when it doesn't work out for them.

Posted by matlock on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 11:00 pm

Exactly, Lili. I didn't even bother click the link till you explained what ShitSpitter is. I didn't need to, because I figured it was something like that. Clicking to the Examiner confirms what I already knew.

Matlock's reasoning amounts to:

Matlock: I believe the police version of the story and refuse to consider anything else.

Why?

Matlock: Because I learn'd it on da ShitSpitter.

But Matlock, doesn't ShitSpitter just get their data from the cops? Isn't it actually run by the cops?

Matlock: Well I believe the cops.

But why?

Matlock: Because what the authorities say is corroborated by ShitSpitter.

It's always the first day of history for Matlock.

Posted by Greg on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

"first day of history" -- elegant.

Posted by lillipublicans on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 10:41 pm
or

I'm Greg, "I think right wingers are dumb because they approach science the same way I do, they think the earth is 7000 years old because of the bible, while I think that the speed of sound is a construct."

Posted by matlock on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 11:24 pm

One problem is that this miracle technology doesn't work, or doesn't work correctly, a lot of the time:

In addition to making craploads of errors, there are always issues of data interpretation. When a corporation that wants to keep a lucrative city contract with the police (or the police themselves), are providing the interpretation, such interpretation is always suspect.

Lilli's right. It's a boondoggle, a taxpayer funded giveaway to a corporation with close ties to the cops. That was my instinct to begin with, and a quick google search confirms that my instincts were correct.

Posted by Greg on Jul. 18, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

Also from this author

• Privatization of public housing

Many residents feel they're moving from the frying pan of Housing Authority control into the fire of developer and nonprofit management

• Homeless for the holidays

Changing demographics in the Bayview complicate city efforts to open a shelter there

• Betting on Graton

Newest casino targeting Bay Area residents promises to share the wealth with workers and people of color