Musical experiences to dine for
(415) 752-7276, www.540-club.com
Compared to the shiny surfaces of Yoshi's well-known sushi tables, the ambiance at Savanna Jazz Club has more down-and-dirty jazz-person cool. The barely-lit Mission room hosts trumpeter Eddie Martinez and crew every Thursday starting at 7:30pm ($5 cover) arrive early to grab the semi-circle booth table, order a safari platter (rice, beans, avocados, salad, plantains, and a meat option) and a bathtub-sized Manhattan, and take in the parading guest musicos and friendly onstage banter.
2937 Mission, SF. (415) 285-3369, www.savannajazz.com
Amasia Hide Sushi near Duboce Park is one of those idyllic neighborhood Japanese joints that offers succulent little rolls of inventiveness, rainy day sake specials, origami kits at every table, and lovely views of tree-lined, boulevard-like Noe Street. On select evenings (call ahead) it also offers beautiful live koto music, played by Shoko. The koto is an imposing, many-stringed zither that takes up a substantial portion of the small space, its enchanting notes floating among the dish-laden tables.
149 Noe, SF. (415) 861-7000
We actually can't remember what music they play (your standard strip club Def Leppard-meets-Snoop Dogg, we imagine) but we do remember the high-velocity cracking of plastic heel hitting the floor at Gold Club's free lunch buffet. The luxe gentlemen's club in the middle of downtown provides a robust fried chicken spread, with enough fixin's salad, potatoes, lasagna, dessert, whatever the kitchen is serving up on the blessed day you enter that vegetarians can get their mid-day boobie fix as well. Just remember, finger lickers, free scarfing does not give you permission to forget to tip.
Monday-Friday, 11am-2pm, $5 admission. Gold Club, 650 Howard, SF. (415) 536-0300, www.goldclubsf.com
Most Commented On
- Who made you the arbiter of community activism? - May 19, 2013
- My point is clear - May 19, 2013
- Depends on who you are I guess - May 19, 2013
- You're in good company - May 19, 2013
- Xorauguynajkmzi - May 19, 2013
- I've come around to nothing. A job offer is a good thing and, - May 19, 2013
- I help provide illegals with income, and am proud of that. - May 19, 2013
- Progressives have developed a sad habit of being anti-Asian in - May 19, 2013
- material research - May 19, 2013
- Did you factor in this area of the equation - May 19, 2013