Nightlife: Eagle still gay, New Wave City turns 20, SF Electronic Music Fest blast through town, more
DARK ENTRIES THIRD ANNIVERSARY
Speaking of New Wave Cities — Josh Cheon's Dark Entries label has kept the Bay Area at the forefront of the minimal and dark wave movement, which mines overlooked bands of the synth music past and reverential present acts that are direct descendents of those slightly sinister new waves. (Recent signee Linea Aspera is to die for.) This dark celebration features a live performance by Max + Mara plus a glowering set by Cheon himself, with Nihar, Jason P, and Dreamweapon.
Sat/8, 10pm, $5. SubMission, 2183 Mission, SF. www.darkentriesrecords.com
SOUL CLAP AND DANCE OFF
Considering the garage powerhouse that is Oakland, it's weird to me that we don't have a huge dirty-funk, pervy girl group, kooky Hairspray 1960s dance-party scene here. (Hard French and any concert by Shannon and the Clams come close.) NYC DJ Jonathan Toubin was set to bring his great Night Train party here last year, but he was almost killed by a freak accident in Portland that made national headlines (a car drove into his hotel room and ran over him in bed). Well, he's recovered enough now to get the party going again, and this groovy dance-off will also be an all-ages celebration of life. Celebrity judges and the cream of our underground garage crop will be in attendance.
Sun/9, 7pm, $13, all ages. Great American Music Hall, 859 O'Farrell, SF. www.gamh.com
OPERA IN THE PARK
Dearest drama queens, have you had a hard night out on the town? Do you need your over-the-top batteries recharged? How about just a lovely day on the lawn to check out other cute arts enthusiasts — like me! — swooning along to our hometown opera company's overwhelming melodiousness? Bring a little (secret) wine, and let's sing along.
Sun/9, 1:30pm, free. Sharon Meadow, Golden Gate Park, SF. www.sfopera.org
Most Commented On
- You Would Have To Be Out Of Your Mind - March 9, 2014
- It Will Get Built - March 9, 2014
- Thanks for the post and great - March 9, 2014
- Money is the ultimate barbarian - March 9, 2014
- BURN VALENCIA - March 9, 2014
- They claimed to represent the 99% - March 9, 2014
- No matter who posts it, - March 9, 2014
- I agree that government is corrupt and a big part of the problem - March 9, 2014
- Marcos and his point. - March 9, 2014
- No one needs to try and make progressives look bad - March 9, 2014