Are hyphy progenitors Clyde Carson and the Team bigger than ever?
The final ingredient was unpredictable: when "Slow Down" first dropped early this year, an SF high school student under the handle J12 posted a Youtube video of a dance he invented to the song. "The J12" has gone ghetto viral, racking up 700,000 hits, spawning numerous homage vids, and fueling demand for Team appearances in previously unheard of areas like Chicago. Inevitably J12 converged with the group, dropping the dance in the official video and becoming Carson's DJ.
"He put that shit on for real," Clyde says. "I never imagined havin' a dance to one of our songs. When I was a teen, niggas wasn't dancin'. But it lets me know the music we makin' is resonating with that generation."
"I ain't gonna start dancin'," Carson laughs, though I submit he's doing the J12 at 1:05 of the official video. "But I definitely appreciate it."
Most Commented On
- impressed - March 11, 2014
- Sadder but wiser - March 11, 2014
- I heard a few guys turned into lesbians too. - March 11, 2014
- Guest, I hope that you are - March 11, 2014
- Please don't discourage burners. At present there is at least - March 11, 2014
- The best way to help WOC is to stop inventing PC labels for them - March 11, 2014
- Sad but true - March 11, 2014
- KIPpxoisrn - March 11, 2014
- Transmogrification - March 11, 2014
- As PT Barnum used to say, - March 11, 2014