Nightlife: Taking names and shaking ass with Poolside, Black Coffee, Love Will Fix It, Jamie XX, more parties
Gorgeous soulful house from Nkosinathi Maphumulo, Durban-born South African, who brings intricate percussion, glistening piano and bass lines, and deep feeling to his compositions and remixes. He'll be playing with LA's prince of deep house, Marques Wyatt, on Mighty' mighty soundsystem, delicious.
Fri/12, 10pm-4am, $15–$20. Mighty, 119 Utah, SF. www.mighty119.com
LOVE WILL FIX IT
The wee Hot Spot bar in Market has become quite an, er, hotspot since the always adventurous DJ Bus Station John started throwing parties there. (DJ BSJ is notorious for opening up holes in the wall for cute scruffy gay men on the make, after all.) His latest lovely shindig, Love Will Fix It, "an R&B party for the soul," has filled the space with funkier sounds of approximately 1977-1983, Ashford and Simpson to Zapp — and a whole lot of sweaty boys who would rather die than tweeze their eyebrows into little red flags of soulless desperation — for a year now, and this anniversary edition surely won't disappoint.
Sat/13, 10pm, $7. Hot Spot, 1414 Market, SF.
JAMIE XX AND JOHN TALABOT
Public Works is bringing in a killer lineup, including excellent UK bass wizard Jamie XX, fresh from his Treasure Island with his band the xx (he's the one without the hopelessly English underbite). But wait! You also get my favorite dance musicmaker this year, Spaniard John Talabot, shining his ecstatic Balaeric house sunshine into our hectic nightlives. Icee Hot party DJs Rollie Fingers, Shawn Reynaldo, and Ghosts on Tape freak up the proceedings. Grooviness!
Sun/14, 9pm, $25. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF. www.publicsf.com
Most Commented On
- These kind of solutions help - May 18, 2013
- complaining about right wingers - May 18, 2013
- ". With over one million - May 18, 2013
- Well, Jesus ain't letting you into - May 18, 2013
- "Currently, there is no - May 18, 2013
- Yes, it's called Newspeak: - May 18, 2013
- why is this MY - May 18, 2013
- Tell the Yakuza. - May 18, 2013
- Cutting off the nose to spite the face - May 18, 2013
- I'm guessing that you have never read 1984 - May 18, 2013