Many San Franciscans know of their high-profile role appointing Lee to office in early 2011. But their influence and tentacles have extended far beyond what we read in the papers and watch on television, starting in 2010 when their main political operatives David Ho and Enrique Pearce ran Jane Kim's supervisorial campaign, beating Debra Walker, a veteran of the fights against Brown's remaking of the city.
Now, this crew has the run of City Hall, meeting regularly with Mayor Lee and twisting the arms of supervisors on key votes. Pearce and Ho persuaded longtime progressive Christina Olague to co-chair the scandal-plagued Run Ed Run campaign last year, she was rewarded this year with Lee appointing her to the Board of Supervisors. Pearce has been her close adviser, and most of her campaign cash has been raised by Brown and Pak. Even progressive Sup. Eric Mar admits that Pak in raising money for him, a troubling sign of things to come.
THE REAL OCCUPY STORY
The Occupy San Francisco camp that was cleared by police last week may have been mostly homeless people. And major news media outlets from the start reported that Occupy was dangerous, filthy, and a civic eyesore.
But last fall, the camps were comprised of a huge variety of people that chose to live part or full time on the streets. Students, people with 9-5 jobs, people with service jobs, and the unemployed were all represented. Wealthy people who lived in the financial districts where camps popped up mixed with working-class people who came from suburbs and small towns. Families came out, welcomed in the "child spaces" set up in many Occupy camps throughout the country. Most camps also boasted libraries, free classes, kitchens, food distribution, and medical tents.
As news media focused on gross-out stories of pee on the streets and graphic descriptions of drunk occupiers, they managed to ignore the complex systems that were built in the camps. Nor did anyone mention that homeless people have the right to protest, too.
Most Commented On
- Hello, i am glad to read the - July 31, 2014
- Russia's Olympic moment: Let's really gay this f*cker up - July 30, 2014
- Government smackdown - July 30, 2014
- AqzRCSYUftu - July 30, 2014
- Tale of two parties: Was the 8 Washington defeat a referendum - July 30, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 30, 2014
- Sweet, psyched-out, and dirty - July 30, 2014
- Call to action issued at San Francisco vigil for Trayvon Martin - July 30, 2014
- OMG this is ridiculous. Why - July 30, 2014
- HOW I GOT CURE FROM HIV WITH THE HELP OF DR OBAZE - July 30, 2014