Candy apples and razor blades

SSION, Crypts, Hunx, and Misfits cover bands bring out our Halloween spirit

Red lips, moustache wax recommended for SSION's Public Works gig (Thu/25).

emilysavage@sfbg.com

TOFU AND WHISKEY While I don't miss living in Long Beach, Calif. too much (save for some particular pals and the endless flat biking roads), I do sorely yearn for the yearly costumed Halloween performance — at steak restaurant/dive bar the Prospector — of the Shitfits, a Misfits cover band made up of local musicians. Luckily, in San Francisco, there are numerous bands-costumed-as-other-bands shows in late October, including at least one Misfits tribute: Astrozombies, a full-time tribute act, which will do the horror-punk legends right at Hemlock Tavern (Oct. 31, 8:30pm, $7. 1131 Polk, SF; www.hemlocktavern.com).

"The band was essentially formed to be a Halloween act," Astrozombies' vocalist-guitarist Kevin Amann, a.ka. Doyle Vonn Danzig, tells me.

Because what is Halloween without a Danzig-alike howling "Hallow-e-e-e-e-en?" Prefaced by, "Bonfires burning bright/Pumpkin faces in the night/I remember Halloween." Doesn't that make you itchy to slick down your devil-lock, and paint your face like the quintessential skull?

I ask Amann if his band's Misfits (and some Danzig/Samhain) repertoire is constraining, and he says, nope: "I think, because there is some pretty serious diversity within the Misfits catalog, it really doesn't ever feel limiting. We can go from a lightening fast punk song like 'Demonamania' to a brooding slow tempo rock song like 'London Dungeon'."

An aside: The actual Misfits — or, their current incarnation, minus Danzig — are playing the Oakland Metro on Nov. 16, but that's still a few weeks away.

Let's get back to the Halloween tribute show in general. It's often the peak of the year's nights out, the pinnacle when one might revert to early show-going wonder and moshpittery. Everyone is feeling creepy, and the only true nerds are the kids who come in street clothes, or as something "ironic" or "thought-provoking." This year, some friends and I hope to go out as Pussy Riot, as both a fun fashion choice, and in solidarity. Wait, is that thought-provoking? Well, my partner will be a bearded man in a hot dog suit, so it's not all politics.

Along with the Astrozombies, another local year-round tribute act, Bob Saggeth, will play Halloween again: two Black Sabbath-ish nights at Amnesia (Oct. 30-31, 10pm, $7–$10. 853 Valencia, SF; www.amnesiathebar.com.).

Then there's the kind of once-a-year special mashup tribute night I was blathering on about above at Thee Parkside (Oct. 31, 8pm, $8. 1600 17th St., SF; www.theeparkside.com), with Glitter Wizard "Pushin' Too Hard" as the Seeds, Twin Steps as the Cramps, Meat Market as G.G. and the Jabbers, and excellent new local bluegrass band the Parmesans as the Kinks.

There's also a few Total Trash Booking monster mashes, which are pretty much always guaranteed to be raucous, punkish blowouts. There's the pre-party at the New Parish (Nobunny, Shannon and the Clams, who will also be the Misfits, Pangea, Audacity, Uzi Rash. Fri/26, 8pm, $12–$14. 579 18th St., Oakl.; www.thenewparish.com) and two totally exciting Coachwhips reunion shows.

Comments

I really do not know much about this SSION. But it seems to me bizzarre.Why they make it compulsory to keep black moustache and red lipstics i could not understand. I am gonna find more about them.

Posted by The McMinn Law Firm on Feb. 27, 2013 @ 11:46 am

This was an excellent post. It has some valuable info on this topic. Thank you for compiling it into an easy to read and well written post. centurymenshealth.com

Posted by centurymenshealth.com on Feb. 28, 2013 @ 11:44 pm

This is a fantastic website and I really appreciate your post. It is very helpful for all the people on the web.

Posted by Research paper mentor on Apr. 15, 2013 @ 11:29 am

Coachwhips of course being John Dwyer's pre-Thee Oh Sees noise punk outfit. One of the reunion nights (Sat/27 at Verdi Club) is totally sold out, and you're bummed because there's going to be a haunted house inside the venue. I'm stoked because that's where I'll be Pussy Riot-ing. http://www.gw2.us/

Posted by Guild wars 2 gold on Apr. 17, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

Posted by Guild wars 2 gold on Apr. 17, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

For a long time I listen to these songs . We associated with unforgettable memories in my life .

Posted by Vietnam travel agency on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 12:41 am

Posted by Vietnam travel agency on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 12:41 am

Posted by Vietnam travel agency on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 12:49 am

następnym sezonie Suknie z kolekcji Odcienie'ja Bowls'natomiast będą wciąż z większym natężeniem legendarne w Polsce wewnątrz ideą, cięgiem poprawiającego sklepiku La Robes, w którym wyszperacie najpiękniejsze Suknie ślubne Gdynia

Posted by mir on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 1:41 am

I really appreciate your comments. You're so intelligent and very creative in posting comments. Keep it up searching new things in life.Learning is fun, you gain more knowledge as what others did.have a great day

Posted by Perücken on Jun. 16, 2013 @ 11:35 pm

“Hello! I could have sworn Ive been to this weblog before but soon after browsing by way of some of the post I realized it is new to me. Anyways, Im certainly happy I discovered it and Ill be book-marking and checking back often!”

Posted by wigs on Jun. 16, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

I enjoyed reading you post. Usually writing skills is attained via practice: e. I am sharing it with my other friends on social networking sites, as the information is really very useful. Keep sharing your excellent work.

Posted by Hair Extensions UK on Jul. 23, 2013 @ 1:54 am

I have to admit this is a very good article and worth reading !

Posted by lv bags on Aug. 20, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

Posted by Long Nguyen on Aug. 21, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

Just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material. Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts.

Posted by Dragon on Aug. 21, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

Wow! they looked very interesting and very good.Thank post

Posted by Dragon vn on Aug. 21, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

this is test

Posted by test on Aug. 26, 2013 @ 6:02 am

I really like him cause he is a funny guy and I always laugh at him. My girlfriend loves him too. SO funny man!!

Posted by hungria on Aug. 26, 2013 @ 6:05 am