Candy apples and razor blades - Page 2

SSION, Crypts, Hunx, and Misfits cover bands bring out our Halloween spirit

Red lips, moustache wax recommended for SSION's Public Works gig (Thu/25).

The other (Sun/28, 7pm, $12. Lobot Gallery, 1800 Campbell, Oak.) espouses another epic blend of Total Trash and totally touring bands: the aforementioned Coachwhips, Pangea, Fidlar, Guantanamo Baywatch, and White Mystery. I can only imagine all the blood-soaked costumes and sweaty brows.

You can find tons more freak shows in the Halloween concerts and parties guide elsewhere in this issue. But for an entirely different kind of year-round showmanship (holidays be damned), there's SSION, performing with House of Ladosha and DJs from High Fantasy at this freaky-colorful installment of Future | Perfect at Public Works (Thu/25, 9pm, $10-$15. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF; www.publicsf.com).

SSION, pronounced "shun," is hard to take your eyes off of, a confetti-puke electro-art-pop party collective from Kansas City, Missouri, led sultry androgynous vocalist Cody Critcheloe, who now resides in Brooklyn, with the aesthetic of early John Waters oeuvre meets Pee-wee's Playhouse. While the recorded music is often relegated to pre-party pump-ups, live is where SSION really shines, as some may have witnessed at DNA Lounge's Blow Up night earlier this year.

CRYPTS

The people were weary at first of Seattle's Crypts, a synth-based (specifically a rewired CR-8000) darkwave electro act led by Steve Snere. For Snere was already known and beloved as a former member of Kill Sadie and post-hardcore geniuses These Arms are Snakes, in an angular realm of post-punk proficiency. But Crypts is enticing in a new, much gloomier fashion, and yes, Snere still kills it, and it maintains a paranoid frenzy vibe. Check deep, dark, and ghoulish "Breathe," off the band's self-titled debut LP (Sargent House, Sept. 4). The band played SF this summer, but this time it's much closer to Halloween, plus they're opening for Omar Rodríguez-López, of At the Drive-In and Mars Volta fame.

Wed/24, 8pm, $15

New Parish

579 18th St., Oakl.

www.thenewparish.com

CONVERGE

If you had told me 15 years ago that I'd be almost 30 and still recommending Converge, I'd of called you a liar or a time jumping cheat. And yet, after a forceful return listen, suggested by a fellow music nerd, I too must admit it: new record All We Love We Leave Behind (Epitaph Records, Oct. 9) is the thinking person's heavy metal album. It's still the blistering axes of hardcore and heavy metal, with melodic guitar riffs, rapid-fire drums, and pained chants, but with a more grown up, complex sensibility — or maybe that's just me?

With Torche, Nails, Kvelertak

Fri/26, 8pm, $18

Slim's

33 11th St., SF www.slimspresents.com

HUNK OF BURNING LOVE

Comments

I really do not know much about this SSION. But it seems to me bizzarre.Why they make it compulsory to keep black moustache and red lipstics i could not understand. I am gonna find more about them.

Posted by The McMinn Law Firm on Feb. 27, 2013 @ 11:46 am

This was an excellent post. It has some valuable info on this topic. Thank you for compiling it into an easy to read and well written post. centurymenshealth.com

Posted by centurymenshealth.com on Feb. 28, 2013 @ 11:44 pm

This is a fantastic website and I really appreciate your post. It is very helpful for all the people on the web.

Posted by Research paper mentor on Apr. 15, 2013 @ 11:29 am

Coachwhips of course being John Dwyer's pre-Thee Oh Sees noise punk outfit. One of the reunion nights (Sat/27 at Verdi Club) is totally sold out, and you're bummed because there's going to be a haunted house inside the venue. I'm stoked because that's where I'll be Pussy Riot-ing. http://www.gw2.us/

Posted by Guild wars 2 gold on Apr. 17, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

Posted by Guild wars 2 gold on Apr. 17, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

For a long time I listen to these songs . We associated with unforgettable memories in my life .

Posted by Vietnam travel agency on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 12:41 am

Posted by Vietnam travel agency on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 12:41 am

Posted by Vietnam travel agency on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 12:49 am

następnym sezonie Suknie z kolekcji Odcienie'ja Bowls'natomiast będą wciąż z większym natężeniem legendarne w Polsce wewnątrz ideą, cięgiem poprawiającego sklepiku La Robes, w którym wyszperacie najpiękniejsze Suknie ślubne Gdynia

Posted by mir on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 1:41 am

I really appreciate your comments. You're so intelligent and very creative in posting comments. Keep it up searching new things in life.Learning is fun, you gain more knowledge as what others did.have a great day

Posted by Perücken on Jun. 16, 2013 @ 11:35 pm

“Hello! I could have sworn Ive been to this weblog before but soon after browsing by way of some of the post I realized it is new to me. Anyways, Im certainly happy I discovered it and Ill be book-marking and checking back often!”

Posted by wigs on Jun. 16, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

I enjoyed reading you post. Usually writing skills is attained via practice: e. I am sharing it with my other friends on social networking sites, as the information is really very useful. Keep sharing your excellent work.

Posted by Hair Extensions UK on Jul. 23, 2013 @ 1:54 am

I have to admit this is a very good article and worth reading !

Posted by lv bags on Aug. 20, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

Posted by Long Nguyen on Aug. 21, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

Just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material. Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts.

Posted by Dragon on Aug. 21, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

Wow! they looked very interesting and very good.Thank post

Posted by Dragon vn on Aug. 21, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

this is test

Posted by test on Aug. 26, 2013 @ 6:02 am

I really like him cause he is a funny guy and I always laugh at him. My girlfriend loves him too. SO funny man!!

Posted by hungria on Aug. 26, 2013 @ 6:05 am