Revisiting the works of Eurotrash's most determined auteur
But then, neither would he likely have made numerous movies that seem driven by insatiability alone — like 1972's Sinner (a.k.a. Diary of a Nymphomaniac, a surprisingly moralistic corruption-of-youth tale; 1973's Countess Perverse, succinctly described on IMBD as "Two wealthy aristocrats lure a virginal girl to a Spanish island for a night of sex, death, and cannibalism;" 1973's Female Vampire, the first starring vehicle for waifish, exhibitionist muse Lina Romay, his spouse and collaborator until her death earlier this year; and 1974's Exorcism, with the short, squat director himself as a murderously crazy ex-priest who mistakes swingers' mock "black masses" for the real thing. These four were recently issued for home viewing. The latter two (on Kino Lorber) come complete with alternate versions emphasizing bloody mayhem over naked frisking.
They are, of course, a mixed bag, sometimes winningly eccentric or even poetical, sometimes just sleazy and dull. For every decent to genuinely good Franco opus (among the latter, improbably, 1976's quite serious Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun), a dozen or more are likely better off unseen when they're not outright unseeable. (He's left behind many films unfinished, lost or in legal limbo). What are we missing in the likes of 1980's Two Female Spies With Flowered Panties, 1981's Bloodsucking Nazi Zombies, 1984's The Night Has a Thousand Sexes, 1986's Lulu's Talking Ass, 1986's Tribulations of a Cross-Eyed Buddha, or this year's Al Pereira vs. the Alligator Women? Maybe they're best kept suspended somewhere between Franco's imagination and our own.
Most Commented On
- Most computer science majors are men - July 24, 2014
- Women in tech - July 24, 2014
- Doing the work of the Koch brothers - July 24, 2014
- the SFBG is way too hypocritical to answer - July 24, 2014
- Kudos - July 24, 2014
- There is no "subsidy." Stop spewing nonsense - July 24, 2014
- 50 bucks says - July 24, 2014
- SFBG has always been a white newspaper. - July 24, 2014
- Homeless People Infesting the Main Library - July 24, 2014
- So what are "progressives" doing to fix public education? - July 24, 2014