Nightlife: Day Zero fest dances into apocalypse. Plus: Kool Keith, Kid Koala, Deathface, Session Victim, more
All the best parties at Deco Lounge are fleeing in the face of new ownership — which gives me a major sad, since I love that glowing Tenderloin afterhours hotspot. The warmest, loveliest disco monthly in the city, Go Bang, has now banged out to the Stud. I'm willing to bet it stays brilliantly mixed and vibrant, with DJs Sergio and Steve Fabus at the helm, though.
Sat/3 and every first Saturday, 9pm-3am, $7. The Stud, 399 Ninth St., SF. www.facebook.com/gobangsf
Tech-soul of the extra groovy and stylish variety from German duo Matthias Reiling and Hauke Freer, which comes with driving beats and quite a few shiver-inducing cuts and live samples that reveal the depth of their "staying up all night researching house music" aesthetic.
Sat/3, 9pm-4:30am, $10–$13. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF. www.publicsf.com
The real deal in soulful house is the wonderfully diverse monthly Mighty Real parties at, yes, Mighty — and you know the spirits above will reflect on the dancefloor when NYC's glorious Timmy Regisford of the Shelter polishes the decks. With fab DJ David Harness (happy birthday, baby!)
Sat/3, 10pm-4am, $10–$20. Mighty, 119 Utah, SF. www.mighty119.com
Fantastic -- and fantastically fun -- turntablist is back, with his "12-bit blues" Vinyl Vaudeville tour, which sounds like a hoot. Using old school sampling tools and a bit of analogue magic, he's set to take us back to the good ol' days of all this hip-hop dance music stuff. With Adira Amram and the experience.
Sun/4, doors 8:30pm, 9pm, $20. Independent, 628 Divisadero, SF. www.independentsf.com
Hardcore rave in 2012: thy name is Deathface, and thine origin is Brooklyn. A perfect capper to your two-week Halloween bender, the duo spaz out gabber-style with horror movie effects and post-banger freaking. Some of it's a little precious, but still worth your fist-pump.
Mon/5, 9pm, $10–$12. Elbo Room, 647 Valencia, SF. www.elbo.com
Most Commented On
- marcos clearly supports drivers not obeying any law that - March 8, 2014
- UBER is doing what the CITY does ... ask Herrera - March 8, 2014
- Commitment matters - March 8, 2014
- You and I have different values - March 8, 2014
- Oh yes - that paragon of virtue, ambulance chaser Chris Dolan... - March 7, 2014
- eKwimShrzRLu - March 7, 2014
- You're kidding right? Brown - March 7, 2014
- fyi, marcos, AAA has a dismal record on motorists' rights - March 7, 2014
- Christopher Dolan AGAIN? - March 7, 2014
- So criticizing someone who - March 7, 2014