What to buy your headphone-obsessed loved one? Our picks, from boxed sets to lovely local scores
SHARON JONES AND THE DAP-KINGS
It's the swinging, soul-funk group's first headlining show in San Francisco in more than two years, and in the grand Davies Symphony Hall to boot. The Brooklyn nine-piece Dap-Kings, is of course led by the velvety, luminous Sharon Jones and will likely be belting tracks off 2010's I Learned the Hard Way LP.
Sat/24, 8pm, $15–$82
Davies Symphony Hall
201 Van Ness, SF
Is there anything more exciting than reverb-heavy surf guitar? It warbles through the veins. Last time the King of Surf Guitar, Dick Dale, popped up at the Uptown he roared through all the hits — yes, "Misirilou" was high on the setlist — and then some, rapidly fingering his custom guitar at a blistering speed, his long white hair whipping around him. Trust me, see the 75-year-old maven while you still can.
With Jonny Manek and the Depressives
Sat/24, 9pm, $20
1928 Telegraph, Oakl.
Most Commented On
- You Must Have Moved Here Last Year - March 17, 2014
- Gullible - March 17, 2014
- Answers - March 17, 2014
- Man this idea is great. I - March 17, 2014
- click here - March 17, 2014
- Finally I understand what you - March 17, 2014
- They deserve it, I think that - March 17, 2014
- Racist slurs don't belong in the Mission - March 17, 2014
- Project Improvements are invisable - March 17, 2014
- When a "conservative" advocates a progressive position - March 17, 2014