What to buy your headphone-obsessed loved one? Our picks, from boxed sets to lovely local scores
SHARON JONES AND THE DAP-KINGS
It's the swinging, soul-funk group's first headlining show in San Francisco in more than two years, and in the grand Davies Symphony Hall to boot. The Brooklyn nine-piece Dap-Kings, is of course led by the velvety, luminous Sharon Jones and will likely be belting tracks off 2010's I Learned the Hard Way LP.
Sat/24, 8pm, $15–$82
Davies Symphony Hall
201 Van Ness, SF
Is there anything more exciting than reverb-heavy surf guitar? It warbles through the veins. Last time the King of Surf Guitar, Dick Dale, popped up at the Uptown he roared through all the hits — yes, "Misirilou" was high on the setlist — and then some, rapidly fingering his custom guitar at a blistering speed, his long white hair whipping around him. Trust me, see the 75-year-old maven while you still can.
With Jonny Manek and the Depressives
Sat/24, 9pm, $20
1928 Telegraph, Oakl.
Most Commented On
- Apostrophes again. - June 19, 2013
- The brand here was designed - June 19, 2013
- nope, I meant apostrophes - June 19, 2013
- Back to reality, anon guest. - June 19, 2013
- No, Marcos, an ideology that cannot tolerate dissent, nor - June 19, 2013
- Any chance you'll post your - June 19, 2013
- compensation - June 19, 2013
- In the same way that Redmond - June 19, 2013
- I think "Admin" meant "quotes" and not "apostrophes". - June 19, 2013
- I wouldn't say that the Progressives had many "admirable wins". - June 19, 2013