Sinking our hooks into new chefs, new waves at Georges and Weird Fish
Lunch is a bustling, convivial time to dine. As with lobster rolls, a Dungeness crab roll is expensive ($21), but a real beauty. Lush white crab is packed between bread with basil, piquillo pepper, and pleasing Southern touches of fried green tomatoes and remoulade, and the whole thing is accompanied by housemade BBQ potato chips. A silky crudo ($15) of albacore tuna cleanses the palate alongside a crisp white wine. Six cuts of tuna rest on hearts of palm, reasonably doused in garum (a fermented fish sauce I'm seeing on many menus lately), McEvoy Ranch olive oil, and vivid Meyer lemon.
Mussels and frites ($16 for mussels, $20 with fries) comfort on a chilly day, particularly with beer. Bilger steams plump mussels in Ommegang Witte beer, the broth exhibiting notes of fall from Rubinstar apples, savory with smoked bacon and leeks. One seafood misstep on a follow-up visit, however, was an overcooked, dry albacore tuna confit in bucatini pasta, tossed with zucchini, Calabrian chilis, Castelvetrano olives, and dose of bread crumbs ($16 lunch, $19 dinner). An affogato, a robust shot of espresso drowning lush vanilla gelato, the glass covered with a waffle cone crisp, is an ideal finish and caffeine boost before returning to work.
Georges is pricey but not out of line with the FiDi or the quality of ingredients. It's not the same restaurant I dined at when it opened... and for this the entire staff deserves kudos.
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- I thought the article said that Muni's recovery rate was 25% but - May 22, 2013
- Left-wing people have a civil - May 22, 2013
- No, the specific point I addressed was the claim that bond - May 22, 2013
- So, again, you cannot address any of his points? - May 22, 2013
- Troll14, the two are related. The "effective rate" of corporate - May 22, 2013
- Death deserving troll, - May 22, 2013
- Yep, Oakland is 7 minutes away by BART. BFD. - May 22, 2013
- Street music - May 22, 2013
- Why should they respond to a non-sequitur question? - May 22, 2013
- You are a dishonest debater and - May 22, 2013